Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy cryes at night....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by fire-siamesekitty, Oct 27, 2012.

1. fire-siamesekitty

fire-siamesekitty PetForums VIP

Just had my puppy 2 days ago, he cryes at night so for the past 2 nights i have had to sleep with him in the kitchen as soon as hes asleep i try to sneak upstairs as soon as i settle he starts again if hes awake.How long do i have to sleep until hes confident?

2. tiatortilla

tiatortilla PetForums VIP

i know it's heartbreaking but don't go back to him when he cries. i don't think it ever takes longer than a week or two for them to settle in :)

3. fire-siamesekitty

Fingers crossed it lasts just a week lol

4. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Has he got anything like a safe cuddly toy to pile onto, puppies love to sleep in piles, we found giving Rogue a cuddly toy helped her loads:)

5. fire-siamesekitty

Yes he has a cat teddy lol and lots of dog toys, its the constant barking and crying.how long should i wait to go into him when hes like that? lol
    Ive also left the radio on low for him at night

6. jbw54

jbw54 PetForums Member

i always have mine in their crates beside me in the bedroom for the first couple of weeks then they seem to sleep all night:smile:

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

We had a crate a for Dillon and had it in the living room and I slept on the sofa, every time he cried I just told him quietly be go to sleep, I never went to him just let him know I was there, after a few days he was putting himself to bed with no problem at all.

Just a thought you can get little bean bags for puppies that you put in the micro-wave it give them something warm to cuddle up to. "Pets at Home" sell them they are specially made for puppies.

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Have you tried all the old tricks? Putting an old t-shirt or jumper you have worn in his bed so he has your smell to re-assure him. Putting a large soft toy in with him. A radio turned down low on a talking station. If your leaving a light on and its a bright light that might not be helping it can stimulate them wide awake. Some pups dont like being left in darkness, so if he is in darkness try a baby type night light. if you have a light on try darkness, its usually trial and error with that one to see what settles them best.
    Sometimes a hot water bottle (not too hot obviously) wrapped in a cover can help too as the warmth can settle them. If you are closing a solid door on him too sometimes it can make them feel too isolated and panic, a baby gate on the door opening or dog control gate to confine them often works better as it doesnt make them feel so isolated and shut off.

Adaptil dog apeasing pheromone diffusers can help as well they emit an artificial version of the pheromone mum gives off to calm and soothe pups. Good for fireworks too and helps a lot of dogs with that. You can usually get them in vets, pets at home do them too I think, or you can usually get them cheapest of all on line vet pharmacies. if you want to read more on adaptil
    Adaptil helps dogs and puppys learn settle travel and in kennels

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice