Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy contracts

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Jenny Olley, Feb 2, 2008.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I suppose all contracts are different and have different requirements,the one I posted is a draft and will have alot more added into it when our pups leave us.

As a Breeder I believe in doing everything possible to protect our pups,there will always be those that will try and get out of something,it happens in all walks of life,we learn from it and move on....

2. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I wasn't one of 'those' that were trying to get out of anything, I firmly believe we are doing the right thing by the dog :)

3. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I wasn't suggesting you were,but some people will......it was a generalisation Nicci, not aimed at you infact not aimed at anyone but it is a fact there will always be those that try there luck.

4. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Thank you, will let you all know the outcome :)

5. Labs

Labs PetForums Newbie

All my pups are sold with a 5 page contract and I must admit that I didn't think they were leagally binding as I thought puppy sales came under the sales of goods act once its yours, it yours. But most people see a contract and think it is and if they sign it and agree to it all well and good, and if someone wouldn't sign then they wouldn't get a puppy it helps me to judge their character. The only bit that would stand up is the endorsement contract.

6. Nicci

Nicci Guest

You are right, dogs and puppies do fall under the sale of goods act :) Making such contracts void, I know more about these contacts more than I did with what we find ourselves going through at this moment in time :)

Taken from a solicitors website :)

7. AngieL

AngieL PetForums Newbie

I bought a pup 3 years ago, with a puppy contract endorsed to say we wouldn't breed from her.
    we weren't given a copy of the contract, it wasn't witnessed, but was prepared by a solicitor.
    we now want to have one litter from our bitch, as she's a super dog.
    We don't have any contact with said breeder, and fell out some time ago as she did not transfer the register of the dog to us, and have subsequently found out that she's little more than a puppy farmer churning out vast numbers of pups every month, and it is a business.

I'd love one single litter, to keep a pup from her. but I don't want to either go through a costly court case or even worse, lose my dog. (this breeder has a bit of a rep)

Is there a definitive answer whether dogs come under the sale of goods act, and once money has changed hands, that the owner has total ownership and the right to make this kind of decision?

8. Mourne

Mourne PetForums Junior

Are endorsements on KC registrations common place? The breeder of the pubs I will be looking at this weekend endorse the KC registration so you cannot export the dog nor register its progeny.

I understand the reasons for such endorsements; I just hadn't heard of this practice before, but then the last dog I owned was bought by my parents more than 20 years ago so I can't claim any experience.

9. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I think Endorsements are becoming normal practice,any good reputable breeder will endorse the papers.It's not foolproof but it certainly helps.

10. Mourne

Mourne PetForums Junior

great, thanks for the info

11. AJ

AJ Guest

The endorsment saying you cannot register any pups from the dog, does that mean you cannot breed from them full stop or just that you cant register the pups with the KC? :confused:

12. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

It just means you cant register the pups with the K.C.

13. AJ

AJ Guest

Isn't that a bit pointless then? :rolleyes:

14. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

I think it is. It just encourages the breeding of unregistered pups, not that theres anything wrong with an un registered pup but the reason breeders apply these endorsements is to stop people breeding from them :confused:
    I just dont see that it works out how they think it will.

15. AJ

AJ Guest

Exactly! Thats what I was thinking, the border collie we are getting has this endorsment on it and I thought it was pointless. If it was no breeding full stop that would make a lot more sense.:)

16. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I endorse all mine,never had a problem.

Would I buy a pup with endorsements,definatly,it tells me the breeders care about the welfare of the puppy.
    Most Breeders are happy to lift them if the terms of the sale agreement have been met.

17. bullbreeds

bullbreeds PetForums VIP

Thats right. It doesnt garauntee the owner wont breed so it is pointless.

Jenny Olley likes this.
  18. leoti

leoti PetForums VIP

My Puppies will have endorsments and i will encourage the owners that unless they are going to show to have them speyed /neutred

19. ittybitty

ittybitty PetForums Junior

We do not have a contract with our puppies. I'm not sure if we need one but reading all these treads are very interesting, I say as long as they stick to the Kennel Clubs guidlines then they cant do much wrong. A lot of breeders expect to control a puppy that is sold even though people pay thousands for them. When you pay for somethink then its yours.... Am i wrong?

20. Adrian Jervis

Adrian Jervis PetForums Newbie

To endorse a puppy registration is to protect ones reputation and Kennel Name If you sell a healthy dog or bitch which is then mated with a not so healthy dog or bitch thus introducing a potentially genetically unhealthy bloodline then that could potentially come back on yourself. Providing that the endorsement is explained to the buyer and a separate signature obtained for the endorsement then it is enforceable. Without that separate signature the KC will consider lifting the endorsement on the buyers request. This is one of the cases that has been tested in court and just like the sales of goods act it protects the breeder/manufacturer/seller from patent and copyright infringement.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice