Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Chews

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Emlar, Feb 2, 2021.

1. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Any recommendations for chews for puppies? Rufus is 3 months old and we were told at the pet shop he couldn't have any of the natural/edible chews yet because he's too young.

He likes the fairly soft teething flavoured nylabone ones, but they barely last about 15 mins before I have to take them off him.

He has the harder nylabone ones but isn't as interested, and he has other toys but really seems to like the nylabone for his teeth.

He has a kong and some ropes that he like to chew as well.

Thanks! 20210202_152301.jpg

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

To be honest as long as the chew is big. I have toy breeds so any chew is quite big and was quite big to Harley.. Plus supervised, Harley had everything from cows ears to pizzles. I started on cows ears, cut down though for her.

I prefer big as less likely to bolt down the throat and hence chew. Some chews are ridiculously small and people think Ahhh puppy size or toy dog size and I personally just see more risk.

It's good Rufus has a variety of chew type things to chew on

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

What about the wood chews? I think there are roots and olive wood ones now.

I think puppies like something with a little give in them, which is most likely why he doesnt like the adult Nylabones. Can hammer a nail in with those (i know, i have tried).

4. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Yeah, he definitely likes something with a little bit of give. He has some made of rubber and likes those, but had to throw one away today because he started tearing chunks off :rolleyes:

Will look at wood ones. Are puppies allowed them? Size wise he is bigger than my friends fully frown jack Russell, so he's not a little pup!

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Dont see why not.

Antos and Green and Wilds sell both types, you could always ask them for advice as to the best size.

6. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

My pup loves olive wood, split antlers and Yak chews, plus frozen carrots, his booming blanket and destroying soft toys

7. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Its hard because most things say the puppy must be 6 months, but as a new dog owner I'm not sure of the reason why? Is it because they need to have their adult teeth through first?

I looked at some of the wood ones, but reviews said they splintered. Is that common?

8. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Mine used to like those split antlers when they were pups.

Edible chews- Izzy got given beef scalp (when it got too small I gave it to Jasper to finish so she wasn't tempted to swallow too big a piece), rabbit ears (normally furry ones and she would play with them before working out they were edible!) And pizzles.

Jasper mainly got kongs when he was a pup since he had a sensitive tum, frozen carrots (split in the middle with peanut butter before sticking them back together) and he liked puppy nylabones dipped in peanut butter or marmite too.

I dont think I'd like puppies having those wood chews, mine have had coffeewood ones as adults and I had to fair watch them as some big chunks and splinters came off and I didnt want them swallowing them.

9. Emlar

Emlar PetForums Member

Might try the split antler, thank you! Keep trying to think of new things to keep him occupied with :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice