Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy chewing lead

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by muffinpup, May 31, 2010.

1. muffinpup

muffinpup PetForums Junior

He everyone.
    I have just bought our puppy his first collar and lead, he has only just had his first injection so cannot go out yet, but I wanted to get him used to the collar and also practice walking nicely on a lead in our garden.
    I have read up on different methods of getting him to walk nicely next to me.
    Up to now we have only had 2 five minute sessions of having his lead on in the garden so it is of course very early days, but how can I try the methods out when all he wants to do is chew the lead?
    We haven't even walked yet as he turns to chew the lead and sometimes even rolls on his back to chew it. How can I stop this to get on to the next stage of walking.
    I did keep telling him he was good when he let go, but I don't think he was really listening, just really trying to manouvre (sp) himself to get hold of the lead again with his mouth.
    Thanks

#1 muffinpup, May 31, 2010
    Last edited: May 31, 2010
  2. k4r4

k4r4 PetForums VIP

we had to rub some vicks vapor rub on the lead when bobby was getting used to he never chewed it after the first time of smelling it... thats the only thing i can sugest hopefully someone might have a better sugestion for you.

*Kara*

3. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Try distraction using a treat and walking backwards encouraging the pup to "follow" you if the lead chewing persists You can try a light chain lead, they generally don't like biting on the metal :)

4. muffinpup

muffinpup PetForums Junior

Thanks, I hadn't thought of any of these suggestions, so there are a few good ideas for me to try here.
    Thanks again.

5. ScottieDog

ScottieDog PetForums Junior

dab it with mouth wash works a treat. Done that with Thomas he only chewed the lead once not done it since.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice