Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy chewing her paws

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Emraa, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Bella started chewing one of her back paws (mainly around and inbetween the pads) on Thursday and letting out a little squeak now and then while doing so. I had a good look at her paw and couldn't find any problems. She stopped yesterday but today I noticed she has started chewing one of her front paws. Again, nothing unusual upon examination.
    Today when we were playing fetch she stopped suddenly and started chewing her back paw again and not putting asny weight on it. So I had another look, it is all fine and she didn't seem in any discomfort and walked fine straight away.

Any ideas? At first I thought she just wanted something to chew because her mouth is sore from teething (she is only 4 1/2 months old) but now I don't know!

:confused:

2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Could be a lot of things, grass seeds are very hard to find in paws, Ted did this a couple of times and he had trodden in oil on the road, only way i found out was his feet smelt strange, other cause could be allergy to something, best get her checked at the vets if she continues to chew.

3. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

My first thought is stinging nettles.My dogs act just the same when stung and they are pretty hot this time of year.

Allergies can make them nibble thier feet but if it comes and goes and comes on suddenly then wouldn't think it was allergy.

4. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

It could be stinging nettles, we have a few around our garden and she is always off exploring so it wouldn't surprise me!
    I will keep an eye on her just in case.
    Thanks
    :)

5. dinks

dinks PetForums Senior

Hiya could also be harvest mites (berry bugs)its the right time of year for them - if you have a very close look in between the toes they look like tiny little orange/red specks.:)

6. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

Try Thornit powder. Put some in a bag and dip the feet in, grip the bag tightly around the paw and work the powder in between the toes and pads.
    Thornit should cure any mite problems in no time at all.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice