Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy bringing up phlegm

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lols82, Nov 24, 2012.

1. lols82

lols82 PetForums Member

My wee pup this morning brought up a small amount of phlegm, I'm not overly concerned as he's still bouncing about the house hyper and chewing his toys and seems his usual wee self. I've tried to give him some water, he's not the best at taking water at the best of times but he's not touched none of his food yet.

Any tips?? Ta.:confused:

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

What was the stuff he brought up like? Did he have an empty stomach when he brought it up? Has he not eaten his food before?

Sorry for all the questions!

3. lols82

lols82 PetForums Member

It was like like white phlegm I don't know how else to describe it like white liquid, it was a small amount, sometimes he's fussy with his food and takes a while to eat it so its not totally unusual. He seems absolutely fine he's currently doing laps around my living room lol. He's been peeing and pooping this morning as well, nothing else out of the ordinary.

4. lols82

lols82 PetForums Member

P.s yeah he had an empty stomach it was not long after we got up.

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Hmm if it was yellowy green then I'd say it was bile from having an empty tummy for too long, but since it was white I'm not sure.

Just keep an eye on him, if he's still happy I wouldn't worry unduly. Obviously if he starts acting differently and still won't eat or drink get him to a vet :)

6. lols82

lols82 PetForums Member

Yeah thanks ill keep an eye on him. He's started eating his breakfast now. I really think he's okay and I'm usually the most paranoid person in the world when it comes to my wee dog :). - thanks :)

7. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

May I suggest you call your vet, white phelgm can be a symptom of kennel cough. :(

8. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh believe me I understand - I was so incredibly paranoid when Kenzie was a puppy! I spent about 3 months convinced she was about to drop dead from parvo or some awful disease :eek: I'm marginally better now she's survived two years in my care!

9. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Oh no :( :(

10. lols82

lols82 PetForums Member

Okay Ta I'll look into that. If that was the case would it be likely that could be the only symptom he would have? I was reading up on it and it says that the cough obviously, lack of appetite and runny nose, eyes etc are the main symptoms. There's none of that, but you never know I suppose.

11. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

When my boy had kennel cough he was fine other than bringing up the phlegm and coughing a bit so it could just be mild, but in a pup they can become poorly quite quickly so always best to get these things checked.

12. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

When Tink had Kennel cough she brought up phelgm a couple of times and was fine in herself. the severity can vary an awful lot.

With pups i always suggest calling your vet, costs nothing and they can advise you, put your mind at rest or get you seen if required :)

13. lols82

lols82 PetForums Member

I'll do that when they open in an hour, thanks for the advice x

14. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

Just to add although I'm sure you know this if you have to take pup in wait outside as it is very contagious :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice