Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Breeder Advice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Joolz1975, May 29, 2010.

1. Joolz1975

Joolz1975 PetForums Member

So ive been looking for a Cocker Puppy for a while and found a really good one but she didnt have any available straightaway (not a problem as we prefer to wait till after our holiday and i need to cut my hours at work anyway)

I spoke to the breeder about 4 weeks back and her bitch had just been mated. So i rang her againa bout a fortnight ago and she said even though she couldnt say for definate she thought the bitch was pregnant but also that her friend who is also a breeder has been admitted to hospital so has left her bitch with the breeder ive been speaking to also and the bitch had also just been mated. (sorry im rambling)

Anyway we specifically want a golden boy and she thinks we are more or less guarenteed to get one from one of the litters (litter 1 is black bitch x golden dog litter 2 is golden bitch x golden dog) the only problem is her and her friend will be keeping the pick of each litter for showing so if the 'best' pups happen to be golden boys and there are not any others in the litter i may be unlucky (im happy with this as it seems to me they are a more responsible breeder if they are possibly losing out on a sale if they kept the only golden boy)

Anyway ive spoke to her a few times and exchanged emails and things and she seems happy to let me have a pup (asked me LOADS of questions, and said when i meet her if she isnt happy with us having a pup we will come home empty handed)

I have a few questions i want to ask her and also want to know if these dogs are definatly pregnant but im worried if i ring her too much she will just get bored of me!! but dont want to leave it that long that if the bitches rnt pregnant that i leave it too late to find another breeder or that they get reserved in advance by anyone else!

Suppose what im asking is how much contact is too much! will she be happy im interested and asking questions or will she think im a puppy stalker lol!

2. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

she should be happy that you are bothering to ask her questions and ringing to see how things are going;)

3. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

A good breeder should never be bothered by a possible puppy owner ringing to ask questions. I know when I have pups I encourage people to ring me to ask questions.

I don't know much about the genetics and colours of cockers but I would have thought with litter 2 having both parents golden then there will most likely be more than 1 golden pup what sex are born I'm afraid you cannot control.

The first littler I bre (whippets) was of 1 dog and 7 bitches. Everyone that had booked a pup wanted a dog.

I have a person who has been waiting for over a year for one of my pups unfortuanlty the bitch reasborbed the litter but she is still waiting as she wants a pup off the lines I have.

4. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Ring and email as much as you want - a good breeder will be happy with this.

There is nothing to stop you still looking for other litters just in case.

Good luck

5. kaisa624

kaisa624 PetForums VIP

As above have said, ring as much as you like. We still email our Holly's breeder and call her once a month for updates :) We called her basically every week before we got Holly home :p

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Forgot to add I phone, text or contact Willlow's breeder several times a week. I may text here 4/5 times in one day:thumbup::thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice