Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Blues...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Emily Cumming, May 24, 2019.

1. Emily Cumming

Emily Cumming PetForums Junior

Hey all, I just wanted to see if anyone could give any advice.. my boyfriend has been desperate for a dog, as he needed that companionship. We finally picked up our new puppy on Tuesday, a Rottweiler puppy, which in all honesty, is not my most favourite breed... he is however really sweet, and relatively well behaved at 8 weeks. However I'm just constantly feeling anxious and sad about the whole situation. I had little sleep last night as due to my sphynx cat being extremely hyper at certain times in the night, they were playing, which was putting me on edge as our pup has super sharp teeth at the moment and I'm just so worried he will hurt my cat. I cant sleep in the same bed as my OH as one of us needs to be on puppy duty. We haven't been crate training him but starting to think we should? We also cant walk home as he has only just had his 1st jab. To be fair, he goes hyper active on occasions, but will play by himself or chill if we are busy. However I'm just nervous. We were playing yesterday and he bit me so hard by mistake that it made me cry, maybe that's not a hard thing to do but still it hurt!
    I also feel bad because my OH really wanted him and I'm turning the whole thing negative, when it should be a happy time, I just hate change and feeling a little drained. If anyone has any tips I'd love to hear them??

2. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

Puppies are really hard work, we have all been there, they push all your buttons until you are a nervous wreak. but it will get better. I nearly sent Dillon back to his breeder more than once but he turn out to be a wonderful boy loving,caring and funny.

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I have always said puppies should come with a health warning! Mine is now 7 months old it's far easier than when he was younger. I would seperate the cat and pup.

I didn't really crate train but it works for lots of people. The no sleep phase will pass. They do bite you lots when they are little I used to stand up and walk out of the room.

You must post puppy pics :p

Happy Paws and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Rott lover

Rott lover once you go black and tan you never come back

puppy pics please !!!!!! Ok now that that's out of the way. Puppys are tons of work and drive you to the edge of sanity at every turn.It will get better before you know it and you wont be able to live without your pup or imagine life without.

6. Emily Cumming

I've seen a lot of people say this! Tonight in just at breaking point, I'm finding it really hard and feel so awful for feeling this way especially for my OH.

7. Emily Cumming

His name is Arnie, he can be sweet, but he just seems to go to the toilet wherever he likes, biting everyone, and harassing the cats.. it's all expected I know, but it can be so difficult to see it getting better sometimes! I feel like a bad dog parent.. and cat parent... and partner for feeling so negatively!

Attached Files:

Udon likes this.
  8. Emily Cumming

Thank you I really appreciate it! Its just so difficult to see the light st the end of the tunnel Haha!

9. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

The early months are hard because your life style changes a bit. Stick with it and you will have a best friend for life rotties are great dogs.

Where is she sleeping? Mine stayed in bed with me if I heard them moving a lot of sniffing toilet time.

When I first got Loki we struggled with toilet training (my fault not his) he has got it now.
    Take her out at regular intervals praise when she pees outside say nothing inside just clean up. If your using puppy pads they are confusing.

Bity puppy is so annoying but it does pass redirect with a toy, cold carrot or frozen kong.

Although you can't walk her carry her outside to see the world cafe, pets at home ect.

10. Emily Cumming

Exactly! I think I find change really hard which is why it may be more emotional for me. I liked chilling with my cats hahaha.

He has a bed to sleep in, however will usually just sleep on the floor next to us if we are on the sofa or in bed. I wanted to train him to sleep in his bed at least for the first half of the night.

He does sometimes use his puppy pads, but seems to enjoy pooping on the carpet and weeing wherever at times which is super frustrating and I find it quite hard to train for toilet needs... how did you train yours?

He chews on a frozen carrot at the moment, and we replace whatever he is chewing with it and his toys to try and condition him away but i guess it's all just trial and error!

11. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Puppy pads have their place but are not helpful for toilet training - they teach a dog that toileting indoors is ok. Which I assume you don't want.

Toilet training happens when two things come together - the ABILITY to hold the toilet, along with the DESIRE to hold it in order to earn the reward for doing so.

Ideally you want him to not be in a position where he needs to toilet before you have him outdoors, so that every toilet is outside - as far as possible, there will be accidents! So set him up to succeed by taking him out even more than he needs; for example every 45 minutes to an hour and always after sleeping, eating, playing. The time between a puppy realising they need to toilet, and being unable to hold that toilet, is zero. So your aim is to have him outside before he can't help himself. When he toilets outdoors make a huge fuss (never mind the neighbours, act like outdoor toileting is the best thing you have ever seen) and reward him with a high value treat. Do that immediately, don't make him come to you for the treat so he is clear that it's for toileting and not for coming to you. The idea is that he eventually wants to earn the treat enough to hold the toilet until he is outside - once he is physically able to control his toileting obviously.

If you take him out and he doesn't toilet after five minutes, bring him in but don't take your eyes off him. Any hint of a toilet inside, scoop him up and get him out fast. If he doesn't try to toilet indoors (great!) take him out a second time and repeat until you do get outside toilets. You need the outside toilet to happen SO that you can reward SO that he learns.

If he has an accident inside don't react at all. If you get annoyed he may learn to fear your reaction and avoid you if he needs to toilet - the opposite of what you want. Dogs cant make the distinction between you being annoyed at him toileting, as opposed to toileting indoors. Take a rolled up newspaper and hit yourself over the head for not having taken him outside in time. Not when he is there though in case you scare him. Then clean the area with an enzymatic cleaner to remove any trace of smell that might attract him back to the spot. As he is actually performing the toilet you can introduce words he can associate with it (like 'do weewee' and 'busy busy') that later when he is reliably trained you can use these to tell him when you want him to toilet.

Indoors if you see him circling or scratching the floor, that can sometimes precede toileting so get him out fast.

Overnight he is unlikely to be able to control his toilet as his little bladder and bowel are underdeveloped and not strong enough to hold all night so set your alarm to take him out at least once if not twice during the night.

For bedtime, try having his bed next to yours (or next to the sofa in the evening). If you look up Kikopup on YouTube she has lots of fabulous training videos, including one to train a dog to settle on his bed.

Rott lover and Amanda Mower like this.
  12. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Great advice above.

13. DanWalkersmum

DanWalkersmum watching the world go by

Hi Our pup isnow seven months old and has gone through the biting stage and we had the sleepless nights etc, I was ill prepared for this as it was a first pup for us. All I can say is give the pup loads of love and patience, start training early and you will start to experience the joy of having a pup around. It is hard work and life will never be the same, but (IMO) it's for the better! Congratulations on your new pup and good luck x

Rott lover likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice