Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy biting

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Emraa, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Bella (12 week old Lab x) won't stop biting. The more I tell her to stop the more she thinks it is a game. She draws blood and scatches with her teeth and when she is excited lunges to nip me.

Is this normal and something that she should grow out of or should I be worried?
    She is learning fast with most other things but seems to be obsessed with biting.

2. Cavalierlover123

Cavalierlover123 PetForums VIP

My 11 week old cavalier kc is the same, When we got her first she used to do it all the time. She only does it to me and my other ckcs at night now! She doesn't do it to my mum or anyone else in the family just me and cassie, its only when she gets a bit excited and i happen to pass her. I tell her no, and she thinks its a game, i give her a chewy toy to distract her while my feet recover, i also tried turning her away from me saying 'No' it works sometimes because she runs away biting something else. I also tried telling her 'No' when she bites and take her away from my feet totally ignoring the bad behaviour and when shes good i give her loads of praise and give her a treat. its working slowly, it will take time.

3. Becci-in-Hull

Becci-in-Hull PetForums Junior

Mine is doing this to. Im confused, I have never had a bitey, chewy, nippy dog or pupPy before. However thats all Marley seems to want to do! He digs up my grass so he can eat it, steals things from myy daughter, chews anything that he sees and he seems to like hiding.

I just dont really know how to handle it all really.:eek:ut:

4. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

I'm glad I'm not alone with this! Bella like to steal things and run away with them too, especially when it is something she isn't allowed like stones, snails, plants etc!

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

This is a good place to start The Bite Stops Here

You must be 100% persistant with training. This means everyone in the household must abide by the training rules. If one person allows play biting, then it will take a hell of a lot longer to get the message across.

6. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

She turned 'nasty' today when we were playing. She started barking at me, bearing her teeth and snapping at me, she just would not stop! I left the room as I didn't know what else to do!
    She was due a nap so do you think she was over tired or is there a problem here?

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It may not seem nice, but it is perfectly normal behaviour that most puppies exhibit.

By you leaving the room, you have shown her that if she reacts this way, you leave. You need to correct her behaviour.

Shes only a puppy and cant hurt you in any major way, but you need to teach her that was shes doing is unacceptable as you dont want this behaviour to continue as shes gets older. What do you do when shes biting and acting like this (apart from leaving her)?

Never remove yourself from a room, but remove her.

8. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Glad it is normal behaviour, it's nice to have reassurance.
    When she behaved like this I told her 'NO' very sternly and walked out the room without looking back at her. She didn't make much of a fuss, I think she knew what she had done wrong. She went a bit 'nasty' this morning and when I told her 'NO' she went away....maybe she is beginning to understand!

9. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

I have been using the techniques in "The bite stops here" with my four puppies, they are now really soft mouthed when anyone handles them, they even retract their claws so that they don't scratch - it took about a week of being really consistent before they all got the message that biting people was a no no - before that it was awful they would bite ankles as you walked by, fingers and hands when you wanted to fuss them or pick them up :) now all they do is wag their tails madly and lick a lot - all good x

Good luck and try the techniques in the bite stops here they really do work x x

10. Varkhond

Varkhond PetForums Member

The bite stops here is brilliant. I QFT. :D

11. fun4fido

fun4fido PetForums Senior

It's perfectly normal behaviour...

You might find the following helpful:

Teaching Bite Inhibition

12. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

Emraa, it's hard to tell if he's normal, but 12 week is a good start to "implant" a basic instinct for him.

- put a finger into his mouth. (with a glove)
    - when he bites too far, you say "no" or pretend to bark.
    - he will stop, and stare with uncertainty.
    - If he doesn't stop, pretend to be angry, say "NO!" loudly, take him away and stop playing with him for a moment.

I've heard that when two dogs play and touch each other with their teeth, they'll always stop if they know the biting hurts. So it's important to let them know how it can be hurt.

I've done this training to more than 10 dogs, and all accomplish it easily.

Hope it helps.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice