Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy biting

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by coopin, Dec 12, 2007.

1. coopin

coopin PetForums Newbie

Hi, please can you offer us some advice. We got a 8 week old puppy at the weekend. She has settled in well. The problem that we are having is that she keeps biting us. I have spoken to friends about this and one says it is normal and she is just playing but obviously this is hard for my daughter to understand as she thinks the pup doesnt like her. Another has suggested spraying her with water each time she bites us, but this sounds mean if she is just playing. We have tried distracting her with toys but she still prefers to bite us instead! Any tips appreciated

2. carol

carol PetForums VIP

puppies do
    distract her or make a scream sound like you got hurt. like her brothers and sister would do if they got hurt when playing you can also say no after
    then shove a toy in her mouth lol
    the other way is when she starts to bite you shove your hand to the far back of her mouth she cant bite down then and she will not like it after awhile she'll think twice.
    there are meny different ways to stop biting everyone has their own way of doing it.

3. nici

nici PetForums Senior

personaly i would teach her the word no but at the same time as saying no you should make a point of ignoring her, by this i mean as soon as she gets rough say no and then straight away stop play and turn away from her,do this everytime and she should get the message that play is for toys and not hands and feet, i have a ten week old and he attacks our feet every time we walk round the house, :eek: remeber always praise when it right.:) good luck

4. coopin

coopin PetForums Newbie

Hi dh, She is a Cavalier king charles.

5. Dawny

Dawny PetForums Member

Don't spray her with water! You should never do anything that will scare your puppy as this can cause problems later in life. I would just say what everyone else has said, screaming in "pain" is a good one. Just try and replace with a good teething toy like the Kong Puppy range.

6. Nice thread.

7. Eolabeo

Eolabeo Guest

The only time i used water spray was with continuous barking, it worked big time.
    I think when your pup bites, a firm NO will do the trick and then walk away and ignor, Or the screaming in pain treatment.

8. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

All pups use there mouth to a greater or lesser extent depending on breed. Anything gundoggy, such as spaniels or labs are a little orally fixated, they like to have things in their mouths. I would go down the line of the toy, kcs are not known for their bravery, so getting heavy on them will just make them feel more vulnerable. Squealing does work with some dogs, but not all, it can make some pups more exited, and bite more. Be aware that although you have a small dog it does not necessarily enjoy being picked up and excessive handling may make the biting worse. It is a dog whatever its size, give it something to do, such as working for its food, put it in akong, so it gets to chew and eat. With the exeption of feeding toys, most toys are only any fun if someone else is playing. Good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice