Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Biscuits and Training Treats

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cuddypuppy, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

We are picking our pug puppy up on 18th July, when she will be 8 weeks old. At what age can I give her puppy biscuits and training treats. Also, what would you guys recommend? I don't really want anything with too many additives in as I have seen the effect they have on my 9 year old daughter! :)

2. Chance

Chance PetForums Senior

When Chance was very young, I bought 'Puppy bones' from Pets at Home. They are tiny and aren't a 'meal' for the pup like adult dog treats are.

She was pretty ,mental anyway and I don't think they contributed any more than life itself.

3. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

I bought Pippa a jar of 'Coachies' and also some 'mini puppy bones' from Pets at Home but Pippa is so small I've had to cut both up into smaller sizes!

What breed are you getting?

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

We just just bits of cheese and chicken for training them but I would say that would be fine.

5. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

Daisy goes mad for cheese, carrot sticks (yes really) and little bits of hot dog sausage. I feel much better about giving her these for treats than shop bought ones as less crap in them!
    Natures menu treats are pretty good too, although I break them up for training, as you only need tiny pieces. I found getting them from UK BARF club was a bit cheaper for them.
    She also goes mad for puppy milk bonios and Pigs ears (not sure how suitable these are for very young pups though - maybe someone else can advise)

6. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Logan is so greedy that we just use a potion of his food (iams puppy)throughout the day to train and reward him, he loves it!!
    And we give him a bonio every night when he goes to bed, we have done this since he was 10weeks old!

He was very poorly at 8 weeks so we had to find and stick with something that suited him and these both do. I havn't dared try him with anything else other than hide chews at the moment, but then i don't really need to as he is quite content as he is.

Good luck with your new arrival, you must be so excited!! :D

7. Cuddypuppy

We are getting a pug:)

8. Classyellie

I LOVE pugs!:001_wub::001_wub:

Lots of pics please when you get her!

I also give Pippa carrot sticks - forgot to mention the healthy bit! :eek:

9. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

I made liver cake for Rosie. She loved it and it is great for training. Can stink a little though lol. Oh yeah and its cheap. Here is the recipe

LIVER CAKE

Ingredients:

8oz Lambs liver

12oz Flour

2 Eggs

3-4 Cloves of garlic

Little Milk

Liquidize the liver, garlic and eggs together. When smooth pour into another bowl containing the flour and fold in. Add the milk. (TIP – do not use liquidizer for this stage as it is too sticky.) You should end up with a heavy sponge cake type consistency.

Pour into a well greased roasting tin, (TIP – margarine is usually best for this) and bake for one and half to two hours at about gas mark 2/3, 300/320f, or 150/170c. Check after one hour.

Test if cooked – When a knife in centre comes out clean, it is done.

When cool slice and freeze.

Hopefully the combination of liver and garlic will be irresistible for your dog. It will be well worth the effort to achieve the desired response in your dog!

10. Classyellie

Oh definately going to try that for Pippa! Harvey will love it without a doubt as he adores liver!

Thanks for the recipe :)

11. Cuddypuppy

OMG:eek: Sounds a bit gross, but I bet doggies love it. I could feed it to my husband and see if he notices!!!!!

12. Cuddypuppy

I think I'll opt for carrot sticks, cheese and the PAH puppy bone biscuits. My hammies can have some at the same time (maybe not the biccies)! :)

13. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

lol yeah the worst bit is whizzing it up in the blender but its plain sailing after that lmao. Great idea my hubby likes liver hmmmmm:rolleyes:

14. I used either slithers of hot dogs , liver or tripe sticks for training! BUT would use none of these for a young puppy! maybe best to stick with a straighforward dog biscuit until he is a little older!
    DT

15. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

Check the backs of the shop bought ones some are only for puppies over 3mths, 4mth etc.

So far I've only found 2 that are for young puppies

16. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Id say dont use them - they are hard to ween off and unless you carry them around constantly the dog wont do as you ask.
    You need to train the dog to listen to you not just because you have food :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice