Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by claireandandy, Jan 4, 2012.

1. claireandandy

claireandandy PetForums Member

Hello Every 1 im new in here so quite the Rookie u may have 2 bare with me finding my feet lol.I will fill u in on our situation so far, we got a puppy on the 22nd of december she was 9 weeks old.she is a Black labrador named hollie. shes so lovely and playfull only problems were having is her night time patern we have been giving in and getting on the sofa and sleeping because if we dont she barks and cries really loudley all night,we made her a ramp up to the sofa and she slept for 2 nights on there then it started again ,the constant whimpering and crying high pitched all night long,shes 11 weeks ish now and yesterday had her first jab she was totally fine with it.Also she eats her own poo if we dont get to her on time of her pooing.the day after we got her she was in the garden and she come in with poo in her mouth we dont know of it was cat poo or if a dog had got in our garden and done his buisness then she went strange for a few days off her food,she has picked up again now tho eating and drinking like normal.when she does have a poo we have been straying it with puppy spray u know the training spray they dont like she smell of,just to try keep her away from eating it ,well we hoped it would put her off any way but it hasnt,(she didnt eat the poo with spray on it ) we are constantly on top of her doing her buisness so this is not encouraged as i wouldnt be able 2 take her out if shes a poo eater,yuck!shes good with her house training she barks at the door to do a number 2 and wees on the newspaper we have down ,but when she goes outside she always pees when she gets back inside lol ,little monster she is,she has been mixing with my mums dog, he is uptodate with all his jabs ect.
    she weighes 4.6 Kg and is fed 4 times a day 4 hourley on Wag puppy food

So my Questions are, - how can i get her to sleep on a night time?

how can i stop the poo eating?(she was on a poor diet when we got ehr told she was eating left over scraps so we thaught she was eating ehr own poo because of hunger)

how long after her first injection can she be introduced/walked with other dogs, ?

And finally at what age can we Have her Spayed,(as my mum has a golden lab dog and we dont want pups)

#1 claireandandy, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  2. claireandandy

3. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

What an adorable puppy!!!!

Firstly, dogs can eat poop for several reasons. Harvey did this when we got him, he was on Pedigree. Sadly, Wagg isn't that good a food either. I'd look at changing, but do it gradually. There are loads of good and affordable foods out there. My preferred is Skinners. Once we changed harvey onto this he stopped poop eating, which to me indicates he wasn't getting all the nutrients he needed. Also as soon as she goes, clean it up. Don't leave her outside unsupervised.

Night time sleeping! Ha, welcome to hell! I was such a softy with Rupert. I couldn't bear to hear him cry. So we moved his crate into our room and he's stayed there ever since. If this isn't for you then you have a few options. No doubt the pup is a little bit scared, so have you thoguht about crate training? Lots of advice on the web, but gives them a safe space to sleep in. You can move puppy to your room and then after a week or so move them to the other side of the room, then onto the landing, then further away until they are where you want them to be. The other alternative is tough love and to ignore it.

Introducing puppy to other people after her first jab, and other dogs you KNOW are jabbed should be fine. I carried Roo around with me after his first jab so he could see things and get used to sights and smells, but I didn't let him down on the floor outside till 2 weeks after his second one. For more clarity, I'd ask your vet if you are unsure.

As for spaying, most people say it should be after her first season, but as I have males I'm not much help, sure someone will be able to give you advice.

Stick at it, god knows there were times when I was in tears with Roo as he was hard work, but then all of a sudden at 9 months, he just clicked. Now he is amazing and I wouldn't be without him. Harvey was a lot easier, as I knew what I was doing!

4. astro2011

astro2011 PetForums VIP

Hi

Congratulations on your puppy she is gorg :001_wub:

For the night time crying I had the same problem with our puppy. He would make a screaming noise when he was on his own. I slept downstairs with him, and put a jumper in his crate that had my smell on it to make him more comfortable. I slept downstairs for about 3-4 nights, and gradually moved closer to the door, but I didn't move his crate as I felt he was getting used to the space it was in.

After the 3-4 nights I moved back upstairs, and he was perfect. I got up 3 times during the night for toilet breaks. Now I only get up at 3AM and 6AM to let him out, and straight back in his crate and he goes straight back to sleep. You could maybe try this, or take the crate up to your bedroom it depends on what you feel best with.

I allowed my pup to meet dogs that I knew had full vaccinations; however, my vet recommended he should not be out for walks until 10 days after his 2nd injection which he got at 10 weeks old.

*Sorry I for some reason thought she was a male lol. I don't know anything about spaying. You are best to speak to your vet*

As for the dog poo I'm sorry I've never had a dog that done that, but I'm sure someone on here will know the answer to your question.

#4 astro2011, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I think your trouble with the Peeing indoors is likely the paper. I would ditch it,
    it could be confusing her, if she used paper at the breeders and always had it so far, to her mind thats the place to do it. Likely why she comes back in to do it. Try removing the paper, and take her out every 30/45 minutes. If she starts to pee use a name used every time she will associate the name with going and you can use it as a toilet cue. When finished praise and lots of treats. Take her too after, drinking eating play and sleeping. Look out for circuling sniffing and scratching at the floor too thats usually a sign they are looking to go.

With the Poo eating, its often linked to bad diet and nutrition. Also if she hasnt been wormed properly and has some worms that will be depleting her nutrition even now and they tend to be hungry. She should have been wormed 2 weeks old, then every 2/3 weeks until 12 weeks, then monthly to 6months then every 3/4mths like adults, so something worth looking at.
    There is a product called Stool Repel Um by Mark and Chappell, that you give them, plus giving pineapple or papya in their food puts some dogs off
    Here is the link to the Repel-um that I think you can get in pets at home
    M&C Stool Repel-UM

6. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Ditto as above, ALSO.....................where she have pee'd you need to wash floor with Biological washing powder in warm water as this cuts down on the enzymes and takes away the smell, a puppy will always go back to a place they pee'd before as the smell to them is much stonger than what we can smell. :thumbup1:

7. Sled dog hotel

Just re read and realised you have other questions.

Is it non stop crying at night, or does she settle then have spells of it?
    Sometimes they can/will cry if they need to toilet especially if she is beginning to get the concept of outside and wanting to be clean, even though I know you have problems with peeing inside at the moment.
    So you could try taking her out to see if she needs to toilet or make sure thats not the problem. How early does she have her last meal, If its too early sometimes they get hungry and cry, given a fuller tummy they often settle more or better, so that may be worth considering too.

To get her settled on her own at night the following things often help a lot of pups.
    Leaving a jumper or t-shirt you have worn in her bed, as your smell comforts and re-assures them.
    Leaving a radio down low on a talking station as the ound of voices often re-assures rather then silence.
    Leaving a large soft toy of several smaller ones in their bed, this mimics a litter mate or mum to cuddle up too, pups often sleep touching or atop of each other in the litter, so it can be comforting and settle a lot of pups.
    DAP Dog appeasing pheromones now called Adaptil can help, Its a diffuser like a plug in air freshener, that emits an artificial version of the pheromones mum emits to calm and sooth pups, from vets or pets at home usually cheaper on line I get mine from Online Vet | Get Cheap Pet Medicine and Treatments Online From Vet-Medic - Vet-Medic although there are other places.
    If you are shutting her in darkness some pups dont like it a low night light may be better? If you leave a bright light on that can stimulate them. Or if she has a light at the moment you could try darkness, some pups settle better then. So depending on what your doing now that may be trial and error to see if some thing works better.
    If you shut her in with a solid door, some pups find that isolating and panic,
    often a dog control gate, or even a baby gate depending on breed, is better to keep them confined as they dont feel so shut in. The Proper dog control gate is obviously higher and more robust but they fit the same.

Are you alowing access to you all day? That may not be helping either if you are, try giving her short periods of rest after ativity in the day on her own to rest. That may help too.

As regards to going out for proper walks, you usually have the 2nd injection a couple of weeks after the 1st I believe then its about another weeks maybe 2 weeks after that. Your vets if you ring them will confirm though, some vets differ slightly in advice and it probably depends on what brand of vaccine they use too.

Age of spay a lot of vets say from 6mths and bitches often before a first season (Bitches can come into season 6mths onwards) Personally I have always waited until a year minimum allowing time for physical and mental developement. There is data that too early neutering can cause physcial and mental problems. In theory though it can be done around 6mths. But familiarise your self with the pros and cons and make an informed decision thats right for you and her too.

8. claireandandy

Hey all Thank you for your replies its nice to know im not alone in the night time terrors lol. i have also been told by some 1 else that Wag is pants i got a sack of it so have loads left im not being tight with money but could i mix it inwith another 1 untill its gone or untill shes used to the other food rather than just the wag? but im thinking how could that work because each food is weighed out acording to a dogs weight isnt it ?

As for sleeping shes been sleeping with somthing of ours eg a dressing gown or a night shirt we change it nightly so our smell is on it more and doesnt fade away,should we have stuck with 1 item of our clothing and have left it,?she constantly whimpers theres no break in her pattern untill we give in and go down stairs,

she iswith us all day long,we left ehr once for just over a hour and went shoping, or if we go out we take her tomy mams and she plays with my mums golden lab,i say play she tortures him!! lol poor dog has bite wounds to his lips were the little sod bites him(we tell her off when she does that) poor casper had a bloody lip,she tends to run under nethe him and near his nether regions so were always on edge with that too lol

Thanks for all ur advice and tips i will be takeing them on board,
    than plug in thing i dont think i will get because when we got her she was took away from the mother so has been away from her for 3 and a half weeks,thepeople wernt nice people i took pity and took her she was 1 of 2 pups left and i really wanted 2 bring the other home too,i think she was the runt of the litter because she was sleightly smaller and the other pup seemed to push her about, Any advice and tips always welcome thanksguys its nice to speek to other doggie lovers :) X:)

Dober likes this.
  9. claireandandy

thanks for all the advice i will be changeing her food to a more nutritional food,i was thinkingit might be best to have her on teh same food as my mums dog because they will be spending alot of time together but he is gluten free will this make a difrence to her?

10. claireandandy

Could any 1 suggest a nutritional food for her? would the gluten free diet lack in anything she needs if i was to put her on that the same as my mums dog (he has allgergies) x

11. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

#11 Goblin, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  12. troublestrouble

troublestrouble PetForums Senior

well done for coming and asking for some advice rather than just giving up, it's always hell until they can go outside properly, normally 7-10 days after second injection depending on what your vet says.
    when we first got Trouble she was being fed pedigree which was awful and she always had runny poos, they both eat the pets at home stuff advanced nutrician i think it's what its called, and i mix it with some tin as well and they both love it and seem to thrive on it. they have large breed puppy version, not sure if a lab quite reaches large breed in food terms though, will have to look it up. don't know anything about food allergy food and whether its ok for other dogs to eat too. my parents have a bag of Trouble's food over there for when she visits, it keeps quite well.
    spaying seems to be dependent on vets again as some people at the common said their girls were done before they had a season but my vet recommends spaying 3 months after the first one once the hormones have settled down.
    Trouble was a poo eater, they often learn t from theyr mum, more of a female than male thing as along as you and your vet are happy that she is getting everything she needs nutritionally then that's probably why sh'e doing it, it's not because she's hungry. we tell Trouble off when she does it but she seemed to grow out of it. she didn't do it when we were out walking because it got picked up too quickly and she only ever ate a fox poo once and she was put on her lead and taken straight home, shes never eaten anyone elses poo.
    persevere with the night time, our dogs sleep with us so we didn't have the problem but if you want her sleeping downstairs then she'l get used to it, you're doing just fine and she is cute as a button, enjoy all the cooing you'll get when you do finally take her walkies :)

13. claireandandy

thanks again every 1 i will read that sticky now thank u xx

14. Horse and Hound

Dogs don't need gluten! I would personally recommend Skinners puppy. Its cheap as well.

In the mean time what you could do is try mixing a decent wet food in with her Wagg- Pets at Home Wainwrights and Nature Diet are 2 good ones.

Change her food over gradually though, and if introducing a wet do that gradually too. Her tummy might get upset.

Get a job and stop quoting and copying everyone else you troll!

15. Sled dog hotel

Wagg food isnt brilliant, If you look at the label and contents you will likely see it has a lot of fillers like wheat and maize, or some of the ranges do, and the meat is described as meat derivatives which can be any old animal bits and pieces. Obviously if you are not in a position to buy better and way things are for a lot of people at the moment then its a food that is cheap and will keep a dog going, but if you can afford better then there are better ones. I havent checked the Wagg contents lately but I have previously for someone and that was some of the things in it or type they were using.

Just look for ones that list meat as the first ingrediant, and the highest percentage of whats in it, followed by things like vegetables and brown rice.
    Proper natural ingrediants and that the meat is stated as such lamb, chicken whatever. Dont use ones that have wheat and maize a lot of dogs are allergic.
    Also nothing artificial added, like colouring preservative flavourings etc.
    Most more natural food isnt available in supermarkets. Look for a proper pet supply centre or pets at home.

Your problem I think is that night is the only time she is alone, and she cant cope with it, being with her all the time you are in, and taking her somewhere else otherwise when she cant be with you, may be making her over dependant,
    if they become over dependant and cant cope then she will cry. You need to build into your daily routine periods in the day, where she is left with something to occuply her and then get some sleep on her own. Start with short periods and build them up while you are there. She needs to get used to being left in the house on her own. Short periods at first will get her used to it and she will learn that you leaving means you will always be back.

The Dap plug in diffuser by the way, doesnt have to be used immediately they leave mum. It can works on all dogs of all ages who have anxiety or are stressed at being left, they are used in firesworks and all sorts of stress times for dogs.
    So if would still likely work. It does on mine, hadnt used them in ages and I used them in November for fireworks, and then just before christmas and new year.

#15 Sled dog hotel, Jan 5, 2012
  16. claireandandy

thanks for that the food advice is good im just browsing the net,the supliers are pretty limited round here but we have a country store about 10 miles away that sells anything u need or they order it in so wont have a problem geting the correct food,when people say wet food what do they mean,she is on teh wag and i moisten it up a little ,is the wet food the ones thats basically already moistend up when u buy it that costs double the price lol.(im not being tight)just seems to me that the wet stuff has added water to absorbe it and add extra weight to the sack of food costing the buyer more? i would much prefer to get a dry sack and wet my self

I caved in last night i left the stair gate open for her,shes more than capable of geting up and down the stairs shes a little monster.i put a sparw quilt on the floor in the bedroom she did settle on it but she was walking about a bit probably exploring with upstairs being new i dont let her up there,mainley because i dont like the thaught of her falling down stairs,i did get up through the night and look for her the little sod was flat out on the end of my sons bed (aged 7) she had pulled 1 of his teddys near his bed and climbed up onto it and got on with him i see shes going to me a little madam lol.i was concerned she would do a pee or poo on the carpets upstairs but she didnt i come down and shes gone through the night to the news paper CLEVER GIRL HOLLIE lol

now xmas is over with she is going to be left at least 4-5 times a day for 20 minutes a time when i take my partner to work and my son to school then collect them both again thismorning i was gone just over 20 minutes and soon as i got out the car i herd her crying in the house with her high pitched barking lol such a small little dot with a almighty mouth.each time i come in tho i have said good girl and gave her a treat(a pice of her food) just got back in from picking my neighbour up from the town and she was on the landing asleep settled so im hopeing shes going to get used to the little short times i leave her,

going to google that plug in x

Claire x

#16 claireandandy, Jan 5, 2012
  17. claireandandy

another Q for u all lol.
    shes fed 4 hourly 4 times a day so 7am 11am 3pm and 7pm but each feed i try stretch her out by 15 minutes so her last feed is at 8pm but im thinking that this is too eraly for her last feed with her having a little tummy she might get hungry and that might b causing ehr to be up later /all night lol ? ne feeding sugestions?

18. astro2011

astro2011 PetForums VIP

I feed mines at 8AM, 12AM, 4PM and 8PM. I've never had any bother feeding at 8PM.

19. Horse and Hound

Wet food is basically the stuff that comes in tins or trays.

Its not that expensive, especially if you use it as a topper. For example I used to use Wainwrights from pets at home ontop of skinners. A tray of the wet would last my dogs (1 jack russell x westie and one staff x ) 2 days. And in those 2 days they got 2 meals each out of it.

20. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Congrats on your new puppy, she's gorgeous! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice