Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy behaviour... do they just grow out of it ?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by diefenbaker, May 3, 2011.

1. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Modmin

I suppose that seems like a silly question. Dief as an 8 month GSD/Mal cross.. he seems to have this one special girlfriend.. they do all the mouthy stuff.. you pin me.. I'll pin you... it's sometimes like the beach scene on from Here to Eternity. Will he just grow out of this at teenagerdom kicks in ?

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Im not familiar with how GSDs play, but the playing you describe deffinately sounds like a malamute/Siberian thing, mine play like it all the time. Nanuq has a Siberian boy friend and when they are let off to play in an enclosed area thats exactly what they do, other breed owners tend to cringe abit.
    Mine tend to play like that with their own type and breeds who play in the same sort of rough way, but with other types of breeds play entirely different.
    Nans also in love with a pug, and with him and other small dogs lays down to play and plays entirely different. My youngest are 5 and 2 and 3months and they still play like it given the chance.

3. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Plenty of dogs who are friends and played as puppies go on doing so.

Does it bother you? Healthy play is good exercise and fun, both for dogs and to watch.

4. diefenbaker

diefenbaker PetForums Modmin

No, I'm not bothered by it... apart from that they're completely deaf while doing it and hare around like lunatics in the woods. That part is potentially worrying.. I've seen him "crash" before. So that's possibly something I'd like to control more. Have him calmer in the woods... and go crazy in the field.

#4 diefenbaker, May 3, 2011
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  5. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

My RR plays like that with a lot of dogs, especially Terriers for some reason. Is it something that worried you?

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

I let mine play for awhile both together and with their buddies, but when it starts to go a bit OTT, stop it in between to clam them before it goes too far.
    I would start by seriously practising and upping his recall and training in general. At this sort of age they can start to go deaf and recall can go to pot anyway even if previously it was good.

I periodically stop the play getting them to do a few sits and things with treats take a breather, them commence play again. You need to time it or recall and wind down before they get too far into it and too hyper and exciteable. Otherwise its more of a job getting them to listen and wind down.

7. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Healthy play is self regulating with calming pauses!

Practicing from puppyhood redirecting attention back to you regularly, after short play bursts helps them control exciteiment and not become "deaf", which has benefits for any behaviour you need to interrupt (for safety reasons).

8. MsSpringador

MsSpringador PetForums Junior

my dog and his brother who my friend owns have always played together, they are 11 months old. they roll around and make the most ridiculous noises and tease each other, its lovely to see. sometimes it does get too loud or too crazy where they bang their heads and things but dont we just tell them thats enough and keep them away from each other, not by holding them but just distraction and body language just for a couple of minutes and they go back to being more gentle and aware that other people are there. x

9. Irish Setter Gal

Irish Setter Gal PetForums Senior

My neighbour and I had puppies within a month of each other (Golden Retriever and my Irish). Both were boys and both have grown up effectively as brothers and played ferociously to start with, all the text book body languages and pinning were played out constantly.
    They are now approaching 4yrs of age and their play has whittled away to a mere odd shoulder barge or two in the park as they greet each other and that's it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice