Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy been spaid - problems

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nette, May 25, 2010.

1. Nette

Nette PetForums Junior

Hi,

I have a 11 month old mini schnauzer puppy that we had spaid yesterday. She has not reacted well to it and is not drinking on her own or has not been out for a wee since the op. She has been trying to go for a wee however it seems like its to painful. She is also very jumpy and only seems to run really quickly from one spot to another. No walked properly at all. She is also panting alot. Has anyone else had this reaction as we are really worried about her. We have been back to the vets who have given extra pain relief and antibiotics. Any help or advise greatly recieved.

Thanks,

2. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Hello. It is common for bitches to be off food and water for a day or two after spaying and going toilet, this is due to the anaestetic.

If it looks painful when she wees, which you say she does, it could be a possible infection.

Is it hot where you are as that could explain the panting?

I would take her to the vet if in doubt, just to be double sure she is ok, if it is an infection they will probably give you a course of antibiotics.

All the best xx

3. kazschow

kazschow PetForums VIP

yes, my bitch had an awful time post op.. When I picked her up she was so swollen and filled with fluid she couldn't sit down, eventully she managed to sit, but couldn't lie, and refused point blank to ty to do so for almost 36 hours :( She didn't pee for the same amount of time, and didn't poo for 5 days, when she eventually did, she would run full pelt screaming at the top of her lungs, pooing as she ran, it was a truelly horendous time for her :( I stil feel massive guilt for putting her through it.

However I had my boy done a few months ago with a different vet (the other vet was let go, in part I believe for a misdiagnosis of something else with my bitch) this time it was completely different story, he was great, no pain, relaxed, just generally not a difficult experience for him.

Take your girl to the vet and let them look at her, that's certainly what I would do.

4. Nette

Nette PetForums Junior

Hi, thanks for the reply. Yeah we have antibiotics and came back from the vets an hour ago. Its more her manorisms that cancern me like how she does the strange run rather than walk and the licking her shoulders no where near the wound. like a comfort thing. Then she hasn't wee'd at all although she is stooping as if needing too. Thanks again for the reasurance,

:)

5. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Hi Nette,

Heidi was v similar when she was spayed. Hardly moved from her bed for the first couple of days unless I put her outside for a wee and put her next to her food, other than that she stayed on her bed. When I put her down, she would almost run with her belly low to the floor. I gave her tasty things to eat so that she had her meds with food but she was v picky. 3 days after the op, she started running round by herself. Her waterworks werent right either. She would stay crouched down for ages. At first I thought perhaps it was cystitis but she has had that before and this was different. Mentioned it to the vet and they gave her a longer course of antibiotics and it cleared.

Try not to worry too much but and give the vets a ring if you arent happy. Hopefully she will soon be back to normal. After the 3rd day, Heidi recovered in leaps and bounds. Altho the waterworks took a bit longer, she was as bright as a button in herself. x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice