Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Bedtime with the oldies

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by kernow, Jun 1, 2010.

1. kernow

kernow PetForums Newbie

Hello, great forum, have been reading during the early hours of new puppy training.

Looking for advice re leaving pup to sleep at night

We are already owned by 2 boxers, Brandy bitch 11yo and Milo dog 9.5yo, very settled couple, super dogs.

We brought our new boxer pup home on Friday night and we had made the decision to crate train her for initial safety if we had to leave her with the oldies and sleep at night.

Friday she slept quite well, was exhausted from car journey and all the stresses of being in a strange place woke to her barking to be let out.

Sat night she lasted a couple of hours and after a toilet trip headed straight to bed with Milo, I slept on sofa in case of problems but not another peep until 7am,Sunday about the same, last night on a couple of half hour sleeps then straight in bed with Milo, fast asleep not a peep until early morning.

She is being typical 7wk old and barking and snapping at them, they in return are giving her plenty of verbal warnings if she oversteps the mark, she doesn't seem that great at listening just yet. She responds initially to their telling off but is soon back at it, Milo has only reprimanded her a couple of times though strongly and wonder if that is why she has selected him for sleep. She seems to particularly target Brandy who is more verbal with her, Brandy will take her self up on to sofa if pup continues.

While pup is doing this I distance myself and let the oldies handle her, if she is too in their face and not appearing to listen, I pick her up silently and remove her, hold her quietly for a minute or two and then distract her with a toy. I was hand clapping to distract her but think this was scaring her and making her worse.

Do I persevere with the crate at night or let her sleep with Milo, he stays put no problem and the bed is large, pup curls around some part of him but he will move a little if he feels she is too close.

I put pup in crate for some daytime or evening sleeps but feel that she will not take to any crating at this rate and for her safety it may be necessary to have her restricted from the oldies and things in a room that could harm her. Would a playpen set up be better?

Also does the agression from pup sound the norm and the oldies reactions.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted some guidance.

2. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

hi...firstly congratulations on your new addition....sounds adorable.:thumbup:

regarding the sleeping arrangements - personally i have always crated the puppies up to the age of around 6 months so that the oldies get a bit of respite from them. in general the oldies will tolerate the pups misbehaving as they are wired to expect it from them,,,,,and to correct any unwanted nipping, playing, or attention seeking. However, just like us humans with a new born baby, the oldies can get tired and frustrated by persistent pups and so, as a cautionary measure, i believe it best to crate the pups at night for safety and also to have quality time with the oldies away from the pups.

maybe you could insist on the pup going to bed an hour earlier than the oldies! that way they get familiar time with you and your undivided attention which could prevent problems later on when pup gets more demanding.
    gilly

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice