Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Puppy Bedding Options?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by PFam, Dec 6, 2018.

1. PFam

PFam PetForums Newbie

I have a litter of 7 week old Pug/Boston Terrier pups. I've been using both washable and disposable pee pads. But, I was wondering if there were any other options?

I know it's not good to use pine shavings or cat litter. But, what about the shredded paper bedding that is used for guinea pigs etc?

I'd like to have something I could scoop. The pups are getting rambunctious and they like to shred the disposable pads, which isn't safe. Then with the washable pads, I'm completely changing them out with clean ones 2x a day. And picking up poo throughout the day. Even so, I feel like it's not clean enough and if I could scoop and refresh throughout the day it might be cleaner.

Am I completely wrong? Should I just stick with what I have? Is there a better way? This is my first litter so I'm trying to figure out what's best.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Do you mean just on a toilet area? Are they loose in the house, or in a pen?
    My set up was a crate as a bed area with vet bed in, attached to a pen with newspaper on the floor and a toilet area which was a large litter tray with several layers of newspaper in and a piece of artificial grass on top - an off-cut from what I have outside. Under the whole corner of the kitchen it was in, was a tarpaulin to stop any leaks damaging the floor. When I saw a puppy starting to toilet, I put it on the grass tray and by time they were around 5 weeks old they were going to the tray quite reliably, though sometimes they'd miss the edge. The artificial grass is machine washable (though it didn't do the machine much good - maybe it would have packed up anyway).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice