Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Barking

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by NikiJackson, Feb 21, 2008.

1. NikiJackson

NikiJackson PetForums Newbie

My dalmatian puppy (11 weeks old) starts barking when she doesn't get her own way. I have her on a lead around the house and use it to direct her away from things and to stop her biting. She then starts to bark.

Is this normal behaviour?

Thanks
    Niki

2. RachaelKeisha

RachaelKeisha PetForums Newbie

Hi again,
    She is testing your limits and seeing how far she can push you. dogs want attention, weather its good or bad, she is learning that if she keeps barking at you then she will get her own way. a dog, especially a puppies hate been ingored so when she is barking just try turning you back on her, dont play, talk or make eye contact as all is attention and thats what she is after. oncve she has stoped barking for 5secs or so then praise her.
    if your finding that she is not giving up even when your blanking her then walk into the kitchen and get one of her puppy meal biscuits, make her sit then give it to her once she has sat, as by then she should've stopped barking and she will learn that by sitting quietly she has got something good

3. NikiJackson

NikiJackson PetForums Newbie

Great thanks I will try your suggestions!

Niki

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice