Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy barking when left alone

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Iain Donnelly, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Iain Donnelly

Iain Donnelly PetForums Newbie

Hi I hope someone can maybe help me with this query.
    We have a 14 week old Malshi puppy Charlie who is really adorable.He is clearly very intelligent and like most puppies he is up to mischief most of the time.
    He had been with his two siblings, mother and a number of other dogs at the breeders home from birth, therefore had never been left alone.
    We also have a 12-year-old Springer Spaniel bitch who frankly wants nothing to do with him and will try and get as far away from him as possible.
    I’ve been sleeping on the floor with him at night beside his crate and he settles down well until about 5:30 or 6am.
    However last night we decided to try and let him sleep in the kitchen so that I could get some better sleep and move towards a situation that is a bit more ‘normal’.
    The problem is that he barks incessantly when left alone in the kitchen even for quite short periods of time and last night he barked for two and a half hours keeping everyone awake until my wife gave in and went downstairs to sleep on the floor.
    He even barks when left in the room with the older dog and therefore he clearly doesn’t get any comfort from her!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

If she's crying like that then it's too soon. She hasn't developed enough confidence to sleep alone. You will get there but it takes time and patience.

In the big scheme of things though no matter how long it takes at this stage, it's honestly nothing in the lifetime of a well rounded confident dog which you should end up with.

tabelmabel, karenmc, Sairy and 4 others like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Likes like you moved him on too soon. How long have you had him?

I’d go back to having him nearby.

Even have him next to your bed so you get a good night’s sleep.

Once he’s truly settled into his new life/home he will naturally become more independent.

Stressing him now could create an anxiety issue long term.

4. Iain Donnelly

Thanks that’s very reassuring!!

lullabydream likes this.
  5. Iain Donnelly

We’ve had him a week, and I slept on the floor with him every night apart from last night.....

6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

A week is very little to gain confidence...

How's his eating, that's another indicator...most people bring a puppy home and worry their puppy is hardly eating. It's quite common as they lack confidence to eat alone. So what most people do, is start chopping, changing food, giving extra treats as puppy won't eat alone but will eat. As the puppy is stressed just by the upset of moving to their new home this can effect digestive system. As humans we all have been there in times of stress when we have had what we can call 'nervous tummy' butterflies in stomach, that type of thing, not able to eat. So doing this we as owners totally then can upset a delicate under developed digestive system and cause loose bowels, at the very least that might take a while to put right due to everything else going on in new puppies life; first vet visit, new experiences added daily that sort of thing. Time and patience is often the key to everything. Taking things slowly rather than rushing, and trying not to panic.

Kakite, DanWalkersmum and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Iain Donnelly

Thanks for that. His eating is fine. All the other stuff (basic training, (sit etc), house training, wees and poos etc) all really good.

It’s just the anxiety barking.

lullabydream likes this.
  8. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I would agree it is scary being left alone can you have the crate in your room? My pup stayed with me at first now happily sleeps downstairs out of choice.
    PS my older dog was mortified when we bought him home now they are best friends.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice