Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy backs out of harness help!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Katpop, Jan 3, 2021.

1. Katpop

Katpop PetForums Newbie

hi all my pup is a 10 month old cavachon, we are now on our third harness and she has managed to back out of it on a walk. Each time she has done this we have brought a different style,I’m very anxious taking her out in case she gets put again and runs off, she has fairly good recall so each time she has come back but if anything spooks her she backs out , she is quite a nervous dog so are gradually getting her used to places.

I have looked at slip leads but don’t think this would be good as she pulls, she can walk well with collar and lead at times but has also managed to back out of her collar.

I have seen perfect fit harness , has anyone used these on an escaping pup?, or any other recommendations? She is doing really well with her training , it’s jsut this part concerning me for safety reasons.
    Thanks in advance

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I have the Perfect Fit but my dog has never tried to back out if it. I don't think he could, I can't imagine how it could possibly happen.

Have you seen the Houdini harnesses?

lullabydream and O2.0 like this.
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Off the shelf harness you would be looking at the Ruffwear webmaster.

Perfect fit is a really good Y shaped harness, however for any harness to be escape proof you really need one that either fits behind the rib cage high up, or for peace of mind a third strap that fits on the dogs waist. Which indi dog's Houdini ultra and Ruffwear webmaster does have, the Houdini harness fits high up behind the rib cage.

There is another one on the market but I can't think what brand it is.

Indi dog is a made to measure, whereas the Ruffwear is off the shelf. Am 100% positive I paid a lot more for my 3kg chihuahua Ruffwear harness than I did for my 26kg lurcher indi dog.

4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I wouldn't have believed it either @JoanneF - but Tilly did manage to back out of a perfect fit. And it was properly fitted. I still dont understand how it happened and it might have been a freak accident.

It involved her getting tangled round a tree, me pulling hard and the whole thing just came off. Initially, i thought the clasps had popped open but, on reclaiming the tangled harness from the bushes, i was flabberghasted to see it all fastened up. It was like a magic trick!!

lullabydream and JoanneF like this.
  5. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

When my dogs were pups I used to have a double ended lead connected one end to the collar and the other to the harness, either that or I had a small clip that connected the harness to the collar, just in case they managed to back out, as it’s so scary when they get loose. If they slipped one they still had the other connected.

Burrowzig, lullabydream and JoanneF like this.
  6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Nooka has backed out of her perfect fit too. Only once I think, maybe twice? She's an odd shape though.
    If you really want a anti-escape harness you need one with the extra bit round the belly.

7. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

I've also got a dog who has escaped from a properly fitted Perfect Fit and I have several whippets who, because of their builds, can slip out of a lot of normal harnesses without even trying.

I use harnesses with an extra strap behind the ribcage as standard now and they're extremely effective at containing even the most Houdini-like of my dogs.

It's a design that's becoming more and more popular so there are an ever increasing number of options. The Ruffwear harnesses (the Webmaster and the Flagline) are excellent but quite expensive however I believe Pets at Home do a similar but cheaper version as part of their 3 Peaks range. Indi-Dog Houdini harnesses are also brilliant, I've got both made to measure and the off the peg Vari-Fit ones. There are quite a few sellers on Etsy who make that style of harness (made to measure) including Sowinka Design, 4GUAUS and Galguau. I recently bought this very basic one from Amazon to use for my new whippet puppy whilst he's growing and it's doing the job fine so far.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice