Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy ate chicks!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Amy07, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Amy07

Amy07 PetForums Newbie

Hello! I have a 3 months old puppy. Yesterday he ate 1 live chick and today other 2. What should I do and how to teach him not to do so?

#1 Amy07, Apr 6, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Put up a fence.

Keep pup on a lead.

Amy Stewart, tabelmabel, O2.0 and 2 others like this.
  3. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

Is this a wind up?

4. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

I concour with a fence or a lead, we have a dog who would happily eat all eight of my hens if she had the chance, we have a fully fenced off area and a run so they are kept safe.

5. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

You have to hope so, @Ian246. :rolleyes:

Kittynanna likes this.
  6. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

I mean, surely you'd take some sort of action (and it's pretty obvious what) after the pup 'ate [the first] live chick', rather than letting him get on with another two?! Wouldn't you??? :Banghead
    One is (perhaps) unlucky - another two is rather more than careless! o_O

7. Amy07

Amy07 PetForums Newbie

When the first chick was eaten, I didn't know it was my pup. I have other 3 dogs and they never ate chickens, his mom never did . Yesterday I caught him with one of the chicks in his mouth. Now he's closed in a garden, can't reach the hen. I mostly wanna know if I can train him not to hunt chicks, especially 'cause he's very young.

8. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I think you could lose a lot more chicks while you're trying!
    In the meantime you need to protect them from him by containing them in a dog proof enclosure.

9. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

You wouldnt believe the amount of folk i know who have lost their chicks to dogs:eek:

10. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I would! Tasty little morsels.
    I lost 2 guinea pigs to visiting dogs when I was a child, our collies never payed them any attention.

LinznMilly likes this.
  11. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Isla ate a stunned blue tit (it had crashed into a window) when she was about 12 weeks.

12. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Aw - that was the sort of thing that happened back then and no one batted an eye - sadly it is still going on with guinea pigs today. They are still seen the child's disposable pet. Id be absolutely traumatised if Tilly got hold of my piggies.

But i think Beryl has her eyes on my wee baby. Baby is very vocal, very squeaky and beryl's eyes are glinting. I dont think i will ever forget to close the lid . . . .mistakes happen but omg those pigs are on an equal footing heart wise as my dogs and beryl.

I take very good care to prevent any contact between pigs and cat/dog. Hopefully the OP here will heed advice and take equally secure precautions.

13. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

Not much of a prospect for an ambitious chick. :(

SusieRainbow likes this.
  14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Toffee decided last year to become the baby bird eater from hell. We have ground nesting birds and on walks, even on the lead, she would spot them before me and demolish them. I was not amused. Birds that lay in our bushes in the garden stand no chance of rearing a clutch.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  15. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I'm afraid Rosie is the Baby Birds' Nightmare.

If there is a baby anywhere in my garden, even well hidden, she knows and she'll find it if I don't get there first.

She kills them with one bite but then has no further interest. She just leaves them.

16. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I'd say that was a resounding ''No''. You have to keep them securely apart 24 hours a day or you'll have no chicks left - the same applies to the hen.

Beth78 and SusieRainbow like this.
  17. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

Falcor took one out of the air a couple of years ago
    it had entered the house through the patio doors and flew over his head on its way out
    One quick jump and it was gone .only to reappear 1min later, intact, but dead
    Its the only time I really didn't know how to react to him, I was distraught
    Foglia often brought me shed mice:Vomit
    And
    Rocky, my old, proper sized, Yorkie, took on a couple of hedgehogs:Bawling, certainly not a dog who learnt anything the first time. Neither was in my garden, I had to make that almost completely wildlife proof

If prey drive is there, it's there, I never could train it out of rocky, in the 14yrs I had him, he even disappeared down a, empty thank god, badger set, just a bad case of ticks and fleas, on that occasion

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice