Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy at night, please help

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by npg81, Sep 19, 2013.

1. npg81

npg81 PetForums Newbie

Hi.
    We have a 12 week old black lab called Florence. We got her at 7 weeks, she is crate trained.

When we first brought her home the first couple of nights were hard work but then she started being really good and only waking up once.

Now however, she got a UTI last week and was waking up loads in the night. he is on treatment. The past week she is being really bad at night, my husband goes to bed at 12.30am, she wakes at 3am, then again at 5.30am, its getting a bit much now. She yaps so loud. When we do get up to her she goes straight out and does a wee, she has never wet in her crate.

Does anyone have any advice please?

2. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

She's a puppy - of course she's going to need to go out at night!

Really sorry but what did you expect? And as the poor little thing has a UTI she's probably in a bit of discomfort :( Did the vet give her anything for the infection?

May I be blunt? Puppies bark and cry and need to go outside at night. Puppies can be EXHAUSTING.

If that is too much for you then honestly, I would recommend contacting the breeder because assuming it was a decent one, they will take your girl back and find her another nice home.

Sorry to be so blunt but it just sounds like you're getting fed up and your pup is simply being a pup!

3. npg81

npg81 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for being so blunt! I was only after some advice.

I was only confused as to why she was only waking once in the night and now all of a sudden its nearly 3 times a night. We already have a 2 year old cocker spaniel so I know exactly what im dealing with but hey, thanks for your advice!

And as I said in my post yes she is on medication. Dont think I will post on her again!

4. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

I'm guessing it's three times because of the UTI.

If you want to leave the forum, it's up to you - shame though, as you will find we are all really passionate about dogs and there is a huge amount of knowledge available. I have learned so much from folk on Pet Forums.

I'm sorry if you found my candour hurtful - it wasn't meant to be. I just think you need to remember that a small pup with a UTI will need to go out in the night - I think your girl is a star for waking you and not going in the crate!

Once she finishes the meds, if there is no improvement, you might want to return to the vet.

5. blitzens mum

blitzens mum PetForums Senior

i guess the infection will be making her wee more, but stick it out she will soon settle down again and it probably wont be much longer till she holds on all night.
    pups are like babies and only have small bladders that fill up quickly
    re consider leaving as deep down the majority of people on here are lovely, including owned by a yellow lab lol , when i first joined i was well shouted down and considered leaving myself but am glad i stuck it out
    welcome :)

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Urinary tract infections do cause excessive peeing both in amount and frequency and they also can have a certain amount of loss of control too. At 12 weeks sometimes they do still need to go at night generally too. Its possible that they infection hasn't cleared up totally yet either.

The fact that she pees or toilets every time at the moment, and if the waking and yelps are co-inciding with needing to go out and pee and once she does she settles pretty readily again then personally I would go with it and take her out at the moment. Once the infection has cleared it shouldn't be too long anyhow before she can go through until early morning. The fact that she hasn't wet in her crate either then sounds like she is really trying to be clean and tell you.

As long as you don't turn bright lights on, interact with her or give her any particular attention, to stimulate her wide awake, just literally out, pee, couple of words of praise and back to bed immediately it should be fine. The danger sometimes is if they do need to go, and they try to tell you and you ignore it, it can actually cause relapses in toilet training, as they sometimes start to not even bother, and if they are desparate will start just peeing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice