Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy and slippy tiled floor

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Liquid, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Liquid

Liquid PetForums Newbie

Does it do any harm to the joints if my puppy runs and slides around on our tiled floor. If I throw a toy he loves running and jumping on it but his front legs slide apart and I'm wondering if I should stop it and go outside with him?!

2. hawksport

hawksport Banned

That's not good for him at all

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Growth is rapid in pups and the bone growth comes from the ends of the bones where the growth plates are, these can be damaged easily through trauma. Not to mention his legs being splayed as he slips and sllides will not do his elbows, hips and other joints any good either.

In answer to your question he can seriously damage himself now and for the future too with skeletal problems. Just so you know how easy it can be done, a rottweiller I know as a pup just jumped up to get a ball and ended up from hip to foot in dressings, due to a damaged growth plate.

4. PennyGC

PennyGC PetForums VIP

yes and it's so easy to dislocate a joint slipping on the floor - a friends border collie dislocated his hip slipping on the floor and she had terrible trouble trying to sort it out, it took about 3 years. Please try and avoid your pup slipping on the floor - I put carpet down over the laminate and floor boards to stop my dogs slipping.

5. Balto-x

Balto-x PetForums VIP

My Alaskan malamute balto when he was a puppy was running around our kitchen which was wet due to snow went to jump out the back door slipped At the last minute fell funny and broke his back leg
    Do not let your puppy run on slippy floors get a rug or mat
    It was heart breaking watching balto with his cast not being able to go out as a Puppy
    Xx

6. Liquid

Liquid PetForums Newbie

ouch! Ok then, I guess there's no uncertainty! I'll keep all the playing outside in future, thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice