Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy and older dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sue2206, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Sue2206

Sue2206 PetForums Newbie

I wondered if anyone has any tips on getting my older dog (a westie) and my new puppy (a weimeraner) to get on. They fight a lot and there is a fair amount of growling involved mainly from the older dog.
    We have tried seperating them But they still go back to it once reunited.
    On walks they get on fine, the problem seems to be just at home.
    Thanks

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

How old are they, and what sexes?

3. Sue2206

Sue2206 PetForums Newbie

Ellie is a 6 year old westie female and kodi is a 12 week old wiemeraner. Sometimes they do get on if on walks and occasionally will share one dog bed. A lot of the time ellie will take toys or bones from kodi. Often kodi will bite her back, which i think could be him trying to show he wants to be the dominant dog.

4. beary_clairey

beary_clairey PetForums VIP

When I got Lilly, my Border collie Rex was 10.

He was always telling her off. But as she was female and very little she would just roll on her back and submit. She wore him down in the end and they were fine.

When Rex passed away, we then got Bella 6 months later and even though Lilly was still young it did take them a while to get on. Lilly would dominate Bella at first and then when Bella grew bigger, the tables turned. Now they are best buds.

I think they just need time and maybe give your older dog somewhere to go to have a bit of rest from the big puppy! :)

5. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

are you sure they aren't playing? marley plays with my MIL dog and there is a fair amount of growling when they play fight

6. pinklady

pinklady PetForums Member

Mitch is 3 and Chi Chi is 22 weeks, they get on brilliantly 99% of the time, sometimes Mitch will tell her off when he is tiered but they soon make friends again, maybe it will just need time for your two to get on. :)

7. SixStar

SixStar Banned

As already said, are sure they're not just playing? You'd think my lot were killing each other sometimes given the noise they make when playing :eek:

Try to keep as closely to your old routine as possible and ensure the older dog still gets plenty of one on one time with you and has somewhere she can go to get away from the puppy should she choose to- for example, allowing the older dog upstairs/on the sofa, but not the puppy.

When I have a pup I always allow my older dogs to tell the puppy off as much as they like (within reason of course). Adult dogs are generally very tolerant of puppies and don't tend to be actually aggressive to them- but they should be allowed to growl/snarl at the pup when the pup pushes things a bit too far. It's the quickest way for the pup to learn.

8. Sue2206

Sue2206 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for ur messages, it could be play fighting sometimes ellie does snarl and bear her teeth. Hopefully in time they will be more friendly towards each other!

9. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i wouldnt worry about it unless you actually think they are going to do damage to each other.

dogs make all sorts of noises and snarly faces when they are playing. the older dog will tell the pup when enough is enough. and the pup will learn its boundaries. just keep an eye on them :)

10. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

I crate trained my pups so they were safe from the adult dog given he was a lot bigger than them. The adult dog should be allowed to teach the pp manners-it means the pup will not be rude with unknown dogs who might really harm him if he gets in their face. I suggest you don't leave them unsupervised until you know they're getting on better.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice