Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy and older dog troubles ..... update!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Hector's Mum, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Hector's Mum

Hector's Mum PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone

I have been working hard trying to get my two dogs to get along, with some progress, but the older dog is still grumbling and barking at Hector when we are there. However, hubby filmed the following video when the dogs weren't aware that he was there. Now, it was proper doggy play with no growling or barking, just lots of rolling around.

Do you think Bob, the older dog, is playing up when we are around, but secretly he likes the puppy!!! If that's the case, what do we do??? :rolleyes::

2. RobD-BCactive

RobD-BCactive PetForums VIP

Where's the video?

You wanted Bob & Hector to get along, for Hector to understand when Bob had had enough, and Bob not to escalate to aggression v Hector, right?

But what did Bob learn? Most likely that the way to get your attention, was to be "grumbly" otherwise you likely couldn't help but be attentive to the pup. Then you tried to "soothe" Bob, but Bob enjoyed that but could do without the pup interfering so continued grumbling.

Now, my guess would be, that Bob & Hector are sorting things out and communicating, and Bob doesn't mind some play, result!

Unfortunately, the protective intervention possibly leaves Bob with a grumpy behaviour, guarding you to some extent, to monoplise the fun with you.

So now just like before, I would try to give attention for good behavior from Bob, as well as Hector, and try not to intervene but allow the dog-dog communication to keep the calmer Hector within Bob's tolerance levels. If Bob's cuddling up and Hector approaches, any unwarranted grumbling and the fun stops swiftly and briefly.

#2 RobD-BCactive, Apr 7, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  3. Hector's Mum

Hector's Mum PetForums Newbie

I can't work out how to load it as it says the upload failed. I will have another look later and try again.

Just popping out, so will post a proper reply later.

Good, this dog thing is confusing!!! LOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice