Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy and crate struggles!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by debee78, Feb 23, 2017.

1. debee78

debee78 PetForums Junior

Had my Chi puppy willow for 5 days now and it's safe to say she's not a lover of her crate.....she would much rather snuggle and sleep on me or the kids lol.
    I put her in the crate around 9pm when she's sleepy normally settles ok ish bit of wimpering, then when she wakes again between 1.30 and 2.30 out for a wee straight back in crate, cries for anything from half hr to an hr but does eventually settle...then she normally wakes around 6.30/7 then I get up with her. I have admittedly yesterday and today let her snuggle in bed with me for an extra half hr after her morning wee... probably the wrong thing to do I know but she's so hard to resist. so during the day I'm trying to get her to go into her crate for naps and things but she just won't have it, tried putting treats in, toys, playing with her in it, she just gets straight out as soon as I put her in and if I shut the door well she goes crazy trying to escape! I'm back at work in 10 days or so, so really need her to be ok with the crate as she will be going in it then....any tips plz for a very tired new puppy mummy x

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

She is just a baby, remember she has just been taken away from he mum and littermates. So of course its nicer for her to snuggle with you! That isn't a criticism though :) Don't rush the crate, make it a fun place. Don't close the door until she is happy in there. Put a t shirt you have worn in the crate with her toys and bed. Only ever use the crate for good things, never punishment. If she cries you are going too fast. Put in fabulous treats, let her go in for them and come back out, don't shut the door at this stage. Try a long lasting treat like a Kong.

If you are struggling with the crate, try a puppy pen which will give her a little more freedom of movement.

During the day though you should start to get her used to being alone for short periods so when she isn't interacting with you (to make your leaving less of a contrast) just walk out the room then back in - build up the time gradually.

Lurcherlad, Muttly and Fleur like this.
  3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Where is the cratext at night?
    I'very always found it has suited me to put the crate by my bed - that way I can put my fingers through to comfort or talk to pup to help them settle as well as wake up when they wake to take them out for a wee etc.
    Once pup is settled all night then you can gradually move the crate to another room if you prefer.

I've never used a closed crate during the day - but make the crate the best place to be, feed meals in there, give chews etc in there, play a game of "find it" by tossing food or a favourite toy in there.
    A puppy play pen might be a good idea for daytime if you feel the run of the room is too much.
    Make sure you build up time left gradually.

Lurcherlad and JoanneF like this.
  4. debee78

debee78 PetForums Junior

she's in my bedroom, and she is exactly the same in the puppy pen..
    today I am on a mission to get her to love that crate! we've started by putting in tiny bits of chicken. I've left both doors open so she can get in and out if she chooses.....but right now she is asleep on my foot.

Muttly and JoanneF like this.
  5. Fleur

I will just say my 2 dogs are 9 and 2 years old and if I am in the house they will follow me about, sit the closest point they can and wait for me to come back downstairs, curl up on my lap or next to me if I sit down.
    Basically if i'm in the house they have to be close.
    However if I am out they happily curl up and snooze the time away.
    So don't panic if she's not happy not being with you when you are in the house - but take time to leave the house for a few minutes and return ( don't just stand outside the front door she'll know you are there) set up your phone or camera to record her and see how she does.

6. debee78

debee78 PetForums Junior

ah that's makes me feel better, and hopefully we've had a little break through today with the crate, I've tried not to let her fall asleep on me today and settle herself down somewhere, which has ranged from my feet, the rug, a blanket and the crate!!! I have been playing with her around it all day, occasionally throwing in the odd bit of chicken, and amazingly tonight just now she just toddled into it herself and went to sleep!!! now I was panicking that if I closed the door ( I've left it open all day) she would carry on, but no....was just fine, I mean I'm not counting my chickens just yet it could be just fluke, but it's a step in the right direction

JoanneF and Fleur like this.
  7. Fleur

Sounds like you are making great progress.
    I think we need photos now, you've teased us enought with all this talk of a cute new puppy and not letting us see ;) :D

8. debee78

debee78 PetForums Junior

lol, I agree

Attached Files:

Fleur and Amelia66 like this.
  9. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Ahhhhhh what a sweetie. Are you planning on getting more dogs? You have some very large beds for such a little pup:D

Nettles, Laney_Lemons and Fleur like this.
  10. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

As bless her in that bed! When does your Great Dane puppy arrive lol?

Seriously though well done on the progress. It's all about baby steps, take it slow and she will get there.

Nettles and Fleur like this.
  11. Fleur

@debee78 willow is simply scrumptious :)

12. debee78

debee78 PetForums Junior

:DHa ha the grey one is actually the cats bed but she took a liking to it and the other one is for her to grow into

JoanneF likes this.
  13. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Ah. She is going to grow into a Shetland pony. Now i understand!

Nettles and Siskin like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice