Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy and cat food.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by emilylp, Aug 7, 2009.

1. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

hello ;)

we currently have 2 cats,10 and 13, just wondering if a puppy will try to eat there cat food if it ever goes in the kitchen and how could this be stopped?

thanks!

2. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Yes the puppy will eat the cat food, the solution is to put the cat food higher up so the pup can't get at it.

Terri

3. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

The puppy will eat the cat food try putting it on a counter or something it won't harm the puppy but the cats might get a bit upset.

4. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

hmmm , i wouldnt want to move the cat food though because itss been there for 10 years lol and then its like moving the cats stuff so its like to them that the puppy is more important and its not realy fair, i could just supervise when in the kitchen i guess haha :)

oh and another thing ,, does anyone feed there pupy or dog in there crate?

5. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

No but some people do and the dogs are more than happy to eat in there.

6. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

thanks alot :D

do you put toys in the pups crate on the night?

7. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Maybe put in a soft toy if its a young puppy or a kong with some paste in it.

8. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

My mum and dads cats get fed in the same place every day but if we are there with the dogs the cat food is put higher up, the cats don't seem to mind at all. We don't go to often as Arran gets travel sick so that only happens a few times a year, you could always try it and see what happens if your cats adapt then fine if not then you as you said need to supervise feeding.
    Terri

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

If the puppy eats cat food he will get the runs- from experience it is not pleasant!! Lol.
    Could you put something in the way, or gradually move the food up a bit higher..
    I have tried to train my dog not to eat cat food... She will not if I am there, but takes every oppurtunity to steal it if she can!
    She once wolfed down two bowls of cat biscuits and one bowl of meat and had the runs so bad I had to leave her outside for an hour or so!

xx

10. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Just an hour, you got of lightly :lol:. My pair had the trots for a couple of days :(

Terri

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Oh no, she had the runs for a couple of days! But at fisrt it was so bad she could not hold on until I opened the door! :(

Now my cat's get fed on the windowsill, and there is nothing in front of it she can use to get up there. Lol

x

12. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Yes, puppy with try to eat the cat food. Only way to stop it is to either remove the dog from the room when the cat food is down, or put the food higher up (although the dog will still go mad for it as he'll be able to smell it!)

I would recommend feeding puppy in the crate for the first few days, even weeks, to get pup used to the crate ("ooo, if I go in here, I'll get fed!") rather than "oh no, if I go in here, they'll shut the door and leave me") Hope that makes sense!

Yes, put a couple of toys in the crate. We put the same 3 in- teddy for comfort, rope toy to chew and play with & nylobone (spelt wrong I know) for chewing.

13. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Poor wee soul, it's not pleasant is it. The time Arran got to it I thought he was fine, he was standing on a wee table that's in front of our living room window ( nice cloth on it ) when I heard a noise, turned around and there was a nice wee brown puddle on the cloth :(, Arran was just standing looking at me, he had no idea what had happened.

Terri

14. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

cats up high, dogs down low.

best way.

15. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

Years ago when I had 6 cats and 6 dogs I had a special table for feeding the cats. This way I could leave dry food down for the cats all day as well as giving them their wet food at night at curfew time. Even the Deerhounds who were big enough to reach the cat food did not touch it. They would happily steal human food from the benchs in the kitchen but would leave the cat food alone.

The main problem I had with multiple dogs and cats was teaching the Pugs not to eat the yummy treats deposited by the cats in their litter trays.:D

16. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

LOL now that's a perennial... I'd suggest covered litter trays inside crates, plus barbed wire, electric fences, guard dogs and shoot-to-kill sentries... lololol. Worse is when you visit a friend and your dog heads straight outside and seems to be doing a bit of gardening.... Then comes in and gives your unsuspecting friend a big kiss. :eek:

17. Vikegirl

Vikegirl PetForums Junior

I love this forum already! :D

We've not got our puppy yet, so I'm preparing everything in advance and trying to get as much info ahead. I'd not even thought about the cats food, but thanks to this thread, I've moved the cats food bowl out onto the counter in the utility room. This gives him 4 weeks to get used to the idea, and also means he won't feel it's only been done because of the puppy. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice