Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy Aggression

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by alfiesmummy, Jul 10, 2009.

1. alfiesmummy

alfiesmummy PetForums Newbie

Hi I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone can help with a problem I am having.

I have an eight month old beagle/cocker cross and recently he has started to show some signs of aggression when he finds something. For example this morning on our walk he found a horse hoof and when I try to take it from him he goes to bite me, lips curled, snarling and when he dropped it and I pulled him away he went for my hands and legs. I have tried to make him 'leave' things like this by pulling up the top of his mouth (so he can't bite me) but I don't want this behaviour at all. I have no problems when I give him something like a toy or food and can easily take it away from him.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I really don't like and don't want this behaviour to continue.

Thanks

2. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

practice at home the command leave.

let him play with a toy or chew a chew or something and then have another nice treat in the other hand. Tell him to leave and when he does, offer the treat to him.

3. alfiesmummy

I practice the leave command at home and have no problems there it is when we are out and about that the behaviour starts. It's almost as if he thinks I found it so it's mine (silly to think that I know!:)) I have tried offering him a treat in return for dropping/leaving the item he has picked up but he shows either no interest at all or trys to take the treat whilst keeping the object in his mouth.

I know that I am not helping the situation as I am worried about now trying to take something from him when we are walking in case he tries to bite me and I am working very hard to be calm and the 'dominant' one when trying to take whatever he has found.

Thank you for your advice though:D

4. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

My opinion is when a dog acts like this, it is through a lack of respect. I would work on ways of reinforcing my pack leader status so that you can do anything with him.

Last weekend, I took on my friends 10 stone rottweiler. He is a very good dog and has never shown aggression to anyone.

For the first few days of having him, sometimes he picked something up that he shouldn't have had eg a toy belonging to another dog. I tried the "leave it" command, but as I approached all he did was growl at me. Not knowing this dog and him not yet seeing me as the boss, I could not just take it off of him. So what I did was:
    1) went and got a treat.
    2) I held it in front of him.
    3) He would then drop the item.
    4) Then I would give another command eg "sit or down"
    5) Then he would get the treat.

This way the treat has worked as a distraction and he has been rewarded for "sit or down" command.

Day 6 and he drops it, or at least I can now take it without getting growled at.

Good luck x

5. flufffluff39

flufffluff39 PetForums VIP

Good luck with the training!! hard work but worth it in the end :)

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Possibly the treat is not tasty enough. With the rottweiler, although he loves the dog treats, it would only work with ham. He must have some weakness when it comes to food x

7. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i agree....u must offer him something which has alot more value to him then the object he is guarding :)

8. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Loads of practise at home, offering higher-value treats than what he is guarding.

So he's got a nice bit of hoof - you offer some cooked, garlicky liver - he drops the hoof, you swap for the liver - you give the hoof back.

He learns that if he gives up what he's got, a) He gets something even better and b) He gets the original thing back.

Practise loads so that on the odd occasions when you have to take something away and NOT give it back (a stick or something), he won't mind too much.

9. alfiesmummy

Thank you everyone for your advice, he really loves cheese so maybe I will try that for when he gets something and also reinstate my 'pack leader' status with him.

He is being neutered in a couple of weeks and I am hoping that will also help to calm him a bit - he is a very lively dog!!!:001_tt2:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice