Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy age and training schedule

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by mcmidget, Nov 11, 2020.

1. mcmidget

mcmidget PetForums Newbie

I want my puppy to be well trained as I live near a country town so will need to be able to handle both urban and rural environments.

Shes had a tough start to life with her brother attacking her and is slowly calming down since she came home last Monday but I don't want to stress her with training or leave it too late.

What do you recommend and do you have age milestones that the puppy should be able to do certain things?

2. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I start play training (with the accent on play) at about 10 weeks. I usually try and do 5-10 minutes sessions about 3 times a day. I don't think you can really set milestones as every puppy is different and they learn at different paces. Most of my pups are trained for competitive obedience so by about 11 months old they are usually capable of doing a novice round which consists of heel onlead, heel free, recall to front with finish and retrieve a dumbbell, plus (with the other dogs in the class which can be up to 60 other dogs) a 1 minute sit stay and a two minute down stay.

O2.0 and mcmidget like this.
  3. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

First thing I do with all new dogs and puppies is teach them that their name is a predictor of super awesome things so that when they hear it they whip their head around ready for good things to happen.
    I teach them that all the good stuff happens through me. I make myself the source of food, fun, safety, and comfort.
    Once you have attention (name) and relationship, the rest pretty much falls together - eventually :D

Burrowzig and Twiggy like this.
  4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Absolutely.....very well said.

O2.0 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice