Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy afraid of cows

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ashelia, Jun 7, 2017.

1. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

I walk Ruby my 3 month old pup (on leash) up our very quiet country lane and of course its surrounded by fields but with high hedges so she can't see over them. However there's a few sections without hedges and there's just a fence and whenever we walk past there and the cows are close to the fence Ruby will refuse to walk past and will want to dart back down the lane. She doesn't shake or pant or seem overly distressed by them, she just wont walk past them if they're too close so I don't know if she's afraid or is just very wary? If they're far enough away she couldn't care less, although she will stop occasionally to look at them, as if to make sure they're not coming close or something. And if we're on the way back home and the cows have come closer to the fence since we walked by earlier she'll park herself on the grassy verge and wont move, nothing will get her to budge.

She was introduced to cows very slowly and on her own terms, we'd walk down the lane where they had a few cows in a barn so she could see them from a distance (I'd treat & praise her for just looking at them or being around them and not bothering with them) and if she wanted to be further away I let her, but mostly she just wanted to dart as far away from them as possible. In a way its fine as I'd prefer she be wary of cows and not want to chase them, but considering where we live there's going to be cows around often and of course lots of places where I'd take her to walk there would be cows there too and right now if the cows are too close to the fence she'll just want to leg it back home.

So I don't want that to carry on when she's older as it'd be difficult to walk her anywhere around here. I don't know if its something she'll just grow out of as she matures and gets bigger, as I understand how scary cows and horses would be to a small puppy (she does the same with horses too but horses are far less common than cows here). So far she's fine around other dogs (she's met some pretty big dogs too) and sheep and smaller animals like birds and squirrels, its just cows. So I'm just looking for some advice on how I could handle this as I don't want to do anything that could make it worse. So any tips would be greatly appreciated! :) Also I'd appreciate no one suggest we just walk somewhere else, we're surrounded by fields for miles so there's no avoiding them unfortunately.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I'd jolly her along, cross over to the far side and keep talking to her in a positive, happy voice. And try doing a quick jog past the sections where she can see the cows - get her moving before she sees them.

Blitz, Wiz201 and ouesi like this.
  3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I agree with burrowzig. If you let her sit down and refuse to go by she will just get worse and worse as she will feel you are worrying about the cows too

4. ashelia

ashelia PetForums Junior

That's what I'd been trying to do but she just wouldn't budge, it's like she knows they're there before she can see them. But we had some progress today, as we approached where the cows where (they weren't as close to the fence but close enough to bother her), and I did as you've suggested and she still sat down immediately but I shortened her lead and had to pull her gently as I jogged on, and she did try and back off on her lead a bit and usually when this happens I'd stop and let her walk away but I distracted her with little bits of hotdog and kept talking to her and I got her to walk past normally! :) I didn't like having to tug her a bit but after that initial part she trotted on by herself.

5. LittleKrystal

LittleKrystal PetForums Junior

My puppy did something similar but with a motorbike (which had a cover on) that was on the pavement. There was a bit of wind that day, and the cover was blowing so it sort of freaked him out. I didn't know about jogging past it at the time, so I popped down treats a little bit in front of him, then slowly leading him to walk pass the motorbike. He kept backing off a lot but he eventually (after about 10mins or so) ran pasted it.

We don't usually go down that road, but we'll probably go back there again to see if the motorbike is there so practice walking past it. Next time, I'm going to try jogging and hopefully, he'll think it's a fun game and run past.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice