Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy advice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Willow&Lily&George, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Willow&Lily&George

Willow&Lily&George PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone
    We’ve recently got 3 shorkie puppies, shitzu cross Yorkshire terrier. They’re 9 weeks old, 2 female and 1 male. Lily, Willow and George. We are first time dog owners. Before anyone says it was a mistake to get three puppies, we’re a big family with someone in the house almost all the time. There’s 7 of us all together, so we have enough time and effort to spend on them. (Sorry about that little rant)
    I’m just looking for some advice on looking after puppies, We’ve done a lot of research before getting the puppies but I feel I need some more advice.
    We have 3 cats (we’re working on introducing them slowly without stressing the cats or the puppies out)
    One of the cats is likely to swipe at the puppies, the puppies at the moment weight around 1 kg and the cats at around 6kg (they’re big cats). I don’t think the cat that I’m worried about will do any harm if anything he’ll curl up with them and go to sleep. Do you think I should let the puppies meet the cat even if the cat might swipe?
    And any other puppy advice will come in handy. Thankyou.

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

It's definitely bold taking on three siblings as first time dog owners! Do lots of reading on raising siblings.

I believe you have to make sure you work with each of them separately to train them basic obedience, encourage them to be independent and confident either alone or with their siblings. Play and walk with them separately too. Monitor their behaviour with each other as they get older as well, there's not a guarantee they'll all get on as adults.

Here's some links on introducing dogs and cats together:
    https://cleverdogcompany.com/introducing-your-puppy-and-cat/
    https://www.dogstrust.org.uk/help-advice/factsheets-downloads/cats and dogs factsheet.pdf
    https://www.bluecross.org.uk/pet-advice/introducing-dogs-and-cats
    You'd be best doing this one puppy at a time at first, to avoid the poor cats being overwhelmed or the puppies exciting each other and losing their tiny minds.

tabelmabel, Sarah H and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I think it's a good idea to introduce slowly maybe have puppies on a lead ? Ensure the cats have their own space. I think having three can make it harder due to something called littermate syndrome.

It is worth reading about this prepare yourself. Lots of seperate walks and training. I could be wrong I believe @Northpup had three at once but hasn't been on a while.

4. Willow&Lily&George

Thankyou, we are introducing slowly, the cats...well one cat, the bravest one, he comes in to see the puppies quite often, so we’re hoping that when he is comfortable with them the others will be.
    the puppies are just getting use to a collar at the moment so a lead at this point isn’t going to work. The cats have every room in the house puppy free except the living room and the puppies will not be allowed upstairs, so the cats have the entire upstairs as a safe place.
    I’ll have to read up on litter mate syndrome, I haven’t herd of it before. We’re not expecting much of them training wise, I’ve read that shorkies are hard to train because they have short attention span so only really wanting the basic commands, sit, wait, heel. We’re hoping over time they will learn our routines and will be trained enough to have a happy life and behave.

5. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Don't underestimate the need to train them how to settle down and be calm in a variety of situations and how to behave around other dogs who are not their siblings, especially larger dogs.

It would be worth looking up puppy classes but you'll need to take them one at a time, or have three members of your family each in charge of one pup within the class.

A good breeder would have warned you about littermate syndrome. Did they give you any training advice?

tabelmabel likes this.
  6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I wouldn't be walking any toy breed on a lead and collar as most toy breeds are prone to trachea collapse anyway, and using a lead and collar only can make the condition worse.

There is no reason at all why you can't be acclimatising the dogs to harness with a houseline ( lead with no handle basically) so you can use this.

Any touch you want to be positive, so you don't want to be touching the puppies to remove them, as they can quickly learn hands mean remove me from the fun and they can run away, start giving warning growls. Things that you don't need to happen at all.

7. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

All puppies can be trained, no matter the breed. And in fact with 3 dogs you will need to really train well otherwise they won't listen to you but just to each other, it's an issue with dogs, especially puppies, of the same age. You will need to do everything with them separately and then together to ensure they listen to you when in a pack. Also make sure you walk them and split them up into different combinations so they get used to being apart. Plusyou will need to be right on top if them when the bitches come into season! A male will do anything to get to a bitch who is ready to mate, even if they are related. And being small breeds I expect that will be around 6 months old.
    Try to make sure the cats don't run as that is when the pups will give chase. Have fun! I don't envy you.

8. Willow&Lily&George

Hi
    No we understand the need to train. We don’t want them misbehaving and being miserable for their lives. And I read that shorkies get small dog syndrome. My Aunty has a golden retriever that’s training to be a therapy dog she’s almost fully grown so as soon as the puppies are vaccinated then we’ll introduce them and hopefully she’ll beable to teach our puppies how to behave around big dogs.
    The breeder was a bit dodgy, she said she wasn’t a breeder and she had to get rid of them because her baby was allergic to them but she’s got more puppies up for sale. I’m training to be a vet so when we went to meet the puppies I did little checks on them and they seem healthy but we are taking them to the vets soon.
    We have puppy classes very close to us so will be taking them there as soon as they’re vaccinated.

9. Willow&Lily&George

Thankyou
    Will try extra hard to train them.
    Do you advice to split them up a bit then?
    As soon as they’re old enough and when the vets advice we will be spaying and neutering them. I’ve done a little training with one of them and she gets distracted very easily.
    And yes one of the cats walked, he didn’t run away but one of the puppies did try to chase him, luckily they’re so small that their little legs can’t move fast enough

10. lullabydream

You are missing the point, you need to train the puppies. In multi dog homes, this is bringing a puppy into a home with existing dogs it's essential that as an owner that you play more with the puppy than the dogs too...or they just miss the point of wanting to learn from you, be with you and can very much go on not being trained as they are more dog focused per se....

All my dogs are well trained, a couple have shown nervous people how to over come their fears, been brilliant with kids etc but when it's play time it's play time and that's what dogs do need occassionally.

tabelmabel likes this.
  11. lullabydream

I believe that's very much down to owners not training. Both shih tzus and Yorkies are amazing dogs in their own right. However, due to owners being too much hands on, especially due to them being small this is why they can be happy, snappy

tabelmabel likes this.
  12. Willow&Lily&George

Eventually we will be using a harness, I hate using collars and leads, I think all dogs should be on a harness, but we struggled to find a collar that fits them and we looked for a harness even the puppy ones didn’t fit.
    The puppies absolutely love human contact, one of them falls asleep on me all the time, when playing they don’t get picked up they play with toys and each other until they’re ready for a nap. Thankyou for the advice any more on looking after puppies will be highly appreciated

13. Willow&Lily&George

Yes we are going to train them, when I said hopefully the golden retriever can train them to behave, meant them playing with the golden retriever and the golden retriever playing with them will help them understand how to behave around other dogs, we will also be training them how to behave but we can’t train them how to behave around bigger dogs if we don’t have a bigger dog for them to learn what to do and not to do.

14. Willow&Lily&George

Oh right, okay I didn’t know that. Will have to look into that to see how to avoid

15. lullabydream

I couldn't get a harness for my girl whose a Yorkie cross chihuahua, but she was nearly 2kg when I got her at 9 weeks.

Look at ferret harnesses, am speaking from experience....was still a bit big but ok.

Collar a friend made one for me!

16. Willow&Lily&George

Oh wow wouldn’t of thought of that.
    Our three are only around 1kg they’re tiny a xxxs size toy dog breed collar fits when it’s shortened to the smallest it can go. Will have to look at getting a harness ASAP to train them ASAP. Thankyou.

lullabydream likes this.
  17. Willow&Lily&George

Do you recommend any training foods, the treats we have are too big and even chopped up small they struggle to eat them. So do you recommend any food like hot dog sausage or bananas or anything that’s safe for them to eat and that they’ll love?

18. lullabydream

I use kibble at this age to be honest. The interest is usually there more for the one on one time

19. Willow&Lily&George

Okay, they do love their food. They’re just about to wake up from their nap one usually wakes up before the others so I’ll try some training with her. Thankyou for all the advice.

Sarah H and lullabydream like this.
  20. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Yes split them up now, while they are still young. Take one away to another room and do a short (as in 3 minutes at most!) training or play session, then swap to another, then the last. Sometimes only train one, sometimes all 3 have a go. Don't be predictable so they can't get worried when the routine changes. Do this several times a day and not in the same order each time! Rotate them all the time in different rooms, crates, pens etc so they get used to being apart from a young age. Treat them as separate individuals and not a group.

Burrowzig and tabelmabel like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice