Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

puppy advice please !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by HB2210, May 9, 2010.

1. HB2210

HB2210 PetForums Junior

Hi I got some advice about my 14 week old German shepherd puppy who seems scared of strangers who stop to say hello. He runs away and tries to hide behind me and generally panics. I was advised to get strangers to give him treats so he associated strangers with good things. Ive had him out all weekend in as many public places as possible. Ive taken to standing outside my local supermarket (thankfully not been arrested yet), and although he tentatively takes the treats, soon as he eats it he runs away again. I'm worried that I might be trying to push him to quickly and am at a loss as he seems to be getting worse. I havent been able to get him to training classes yet as his jabs were only completed last week. He is really sociable with other dogs, its just people thats the problem. Please tell me this is just a phase and he'll feel better soon :(

2. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

Shorty was the same at that age. I didnt force her to go to someone as i believe in "fight or flight" but gradually she has grown in confidence herself as she has realised they are not going to hurt her :)

She still tries to run away from small children because they're so loud but its something we are working on x

3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

As long as his first jabs have been done, sit at bus stops, super markets, etc, and get him used to all the sights and sounds, including strangers fussing him. Never make an issue of people that fuss him, or strange sights that may initially seem to spook him, so if he's initially a little perturbed by anything, don't try and bolster his courage by fussing him, all you will do is reassure him there is something to worry about. Just treat situations very matter of fact, and make sure he is used to everyone and everything, in hats, with brollies, in wheel chairs etc, etc....

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice