Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy acting strange after surgery.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Emmy95, Jul 1, 2017.

1. Emmy95

Emmy95 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I wasn't sure whether to put this in health or behavior but as its the way his acting that is bothering me I'll start here.
    I have a 5 month old border collie. He had surgery on Tuesday to remove cataracts from both eyes. We brought him home Wednesday and he was himself if maybe a tad subdued, Thursday he normal. But yesterday and today he is acting completely loopy. My boyfriend thinks he is just happy to see clearly for the first time, and I thought he might seeing things as he has a lot if drops and I don't know how those affect his vision. He is on the go from the moment he wakes up and seems constantly on edge, sometimes he is wagging his tail and other times he looks like he is on alert. I currently have him shut in the living room with me and he is running around attacking randoms bits of carpet and nipping at the air but there is nothing there. If I let him out in the garden he will sprint and jump around chasing nothing, he has even started ignoring sirens which used to bother him before. I might as well not exist I can't get his attention even with treats.
    On the other hand I was wondering if this is partly due to him becoming an adolescent collie that needs more exercise and training. I just really need him to calm down he is like this all day. I will try taking him to the vet later to see if they have any insight.

2. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Has he had the cataracts for a long time?

3. Emmy95

Emmy95 PetForums Newbie

We are not sure, the vet didn't notice anything during his first health check but his vision has never been good and his eyes started looking milky when he was 3 months old.

4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I think it's something worth monitoring to be honest and having a chat with your vet about if it continues. He may settle in which case it's all about feeling good after getting his sight back ....but 'nipping at the air' sounds like 'fly biting' which is common in Border Collies (and other breeds too) and which can become obsessional.

It may be he is having a reaction to the drops or anything else he had at the vets (sometimes fly-biting is caused by an allergy). Or it may be epileptic in nature. But as I said he may just be feeling exuberant. He is very young. Either way I would monitor.

In the meantime just ensure he has a good routine with plenty of training and stimulation for his brain, and find him some toys you can use to redirect the behaviour so that he isn't bored ....he is nowhere near adolescence yet ;)

J

Twiggy likes this.
  5. Emmy95

Emmy95 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the reply. He has been much better today. I have managed to get his attention long enough to do some training and I have got him to settle a few times. Yesterday was horrible though he was on the go non stop and when my boyfriend got home I practically ran out the door saying he is you problem now lol.

I have heard of spinning but not fly biting so thanks I will watch for that. But I figured out that's not what he was doing, he was only going for an odd patch of light on the curtains.

He is going for his check up on Tuesday so as he has calmed down I will wait and discuss it with them then.

Jamesgoeswalkies likes this.
  6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I am glad he is a little calmer and you can redirect him. Looks like it was all connected. I would keep an eye on the 'going for an odd patch of light on the curtain's' too (chasing light and shadows) as this is also prevalent in Border Collies and those with a high chase drive. It's starts because they find it something fun to do and then quickly becomes a habit (OCD). Calm training will help though ...he has been through a lot for such a young pup. Hope he continues to settle.

J

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice