Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppy’s first season

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Duggee, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Junior

My 8 month old lab has just come into her first season. Does anyone have any advice apart from follow her around with a cloth?! Fortunately we have hard floors, but I have no experience of this and no idea what to expect. How long does the bleeding last for and how long do we need to keep her on lead for walks?
    Also, my vet advised spaying after her first season. Do I need to wait a certain amount of time or can I book her in as soon as she’s finished... assuming my vet will operate currently?

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Seasons can vary from bitch to bitch, but, broadly speaking, she will likely have a blood loss for around ten days. This will then cease, but it's often fairly abruptly and then she will be in her receptive time, during which entire males will be desperate to get her and she equally keen to find a male.

That period lasts around ten days, then her season will gradually wind down over the ensuing ten days.

You should keep her onlead throughout her entire season, as a pair can mate very quickly indeed.

I would let your Vet know she is in season now, and they will book her in for three months from now.

3. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Junior

Oh brilliant, thanks! So that’s a month where we have to be cautious? I’m terrified of an unplanned litter! I’ll ring the vet tomorrow then and see what they say.

lullabydream likes this.
  4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You do need to be very careful.

Keep her on a short lead when you walk her and try, if you can, to avoid other dogs.

An amorous dog can be surprisingly difficult to repel.

Duggee, Sarah H and lullabydream like this.
  5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Is her loss bad? Some bleed terribly, some bitches I have had you would never have noticed. Which is really what @Rafa has said. Hope for you it's the latter @Duggee

Duggee likes this.
  6. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Junior

Thanks, I hope so too! She started bleeding yesterday and it’s really just been a few drips here and there, and a little more when she jumps up or runs around, so I’m hoping we’re going to get away with it lightly.

We are just walking her around the block rather than taking her to the park because there’s always other dogs there, and she can run around the garden. She’s not been happy about it though, and when she realises we aren’t turning for the park, she lies down and refuses to walk:D

lullabydream likes this.
  7. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

My pup had her season a couple of months ago

She was kept on a long line for 4 weeks to be absolutely safe
    .she bled for about 10 days, stopped and then had another couple of days at days 19-22

They should be speyed mid point between seasons so 3 months from when she finishes

Duggee and simplysardonic like this.
  8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Don’t leave her in the garden unattended ... a male dog will scale a high fence to get to a female in heat ;)

Duggee likes this.
  9. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Junior

Nooo!!

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. Jimmie O'Chutt

Jimmie O'Chutt PetForums Junior

You can put a diaper on her :D My friend says it works, but my labrador didn't like it. The doggy period can last up to 14 days. After that, you should wait another two weeks for the surgery.

Duggee likes this.
  11. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Junior

:D
    My friend suggested a pair of pants with a hole cut for the tail and a sanitary pad :D, but I’m fairly certain my dog would just try to eat whatever we put on her. Day four, and she’s still just dripping every so often, so we’ve decided to keep her in the kitchen and wipe the floor.

12. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Our labrador has started her second season today, not planned as hoped to have her spayed before now but not possible with vets not working normally. Last time she bled for nineteen days. Now looking to have her spayed in October as they need that time to let their hormones settle. Recommend baby wipes to clear up any spots on the floor or furniture, they clean up very well.

Duggee likes this.
  13. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Junior

Eek, 19 days! Well we are now on day 10 and the blood loss has definitely slowed. I’d really like it if we didn’t have another 9 days of it though! We are keeping her in the kitchen during the day (she’s perfectly happy as my husband is working from home in there at the moment) cleaning up the worst as and when, then mopping the floor in the evenings. I just tell the kids to watch out for blood spots! Fortunately we have wooden floors and leather sofas downstairs.

14. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

If the blood loss is slowing it means she's coming up to her fertile period - this is the dangerous bit! It's here that boys will smell her and come running, and she may well want to go with them! Expect lots of flirting when meeting other dogs, and be prepared to fend off boys who come over to say hello.

Duggee likes this.
  15. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Junior

I wondered about that today when I walked her as she had her nose to the ground a lot and then kept doing little pees every few yards - I assumed to let the boys know she was there:D

16. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

She is weeing often to leave a 'calling card' to available males.

She is coming now into her receptive time. Don't allow any entire males near her, dogs can mate in a matter of seconds.

Duggee and Sarah H like this.
  17. Duggee

Duggee PetForums Junior

Thank you. I think we will probably just let her run around the garden from now just in case, she’s got plenty of room out here. The idea of an unwanted litter gives me the horrors! She doesn’t seem fussed about going out for her walk to be honest - I think she mainly wants to lie down on the kitchen floor and cool her swollen bits down:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice