Puppies with no mum helllpp

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Hollie Jenkins, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Hollie Jenkins

Hollie Jenkins PetForums Newbie

My girl was due the 3rd feb her pregnancy went great no complications untill Fri 2nd feb her mucus plug came out in it he morning mine took her to be checked and the vet was happy for her to return home to sels whelp she was stuck in 1st stage for ages so we returned to the vet who confirmed she was still OK anyway sat 3rd morning I wasnt happy with her progress so I took her back in demanding a c section they took her straight in she had 4 puppies one being very weak the vet said it was touch and go for him and he was right we lost him at 7pm last night unfortunately at this point the other 3 had been feeding off mum but she was weak had no interest in the pups and her breathing was erratic I called the vet they told me it was due to her coming round from the anaesthetic and not to worry at 2am this morning it sounded congested so I rang again I was once again reassured she would be OK at 7am this morning i woke to do a feed and she had white foam coming out her nose and mouth i took her straight to the vet whilst on our way she stopped breathing in the car my partner tried to bring her round but she wasnt responding i rushed her in the vets they checked her and told us she was gone and there was nothing they could do absolutely devastated we are she was like our child basically her breathing was because she had been sick after surgery some had gone in her lungs and basically inflamed then and her body just couldn't take it so now we have 3 puppies with no mum and no idea what to do we have them in a box with blankets and hot water bottle and towel over the top and we was advised to sponge feed them formula are we doing it corcorrectly if not any advice is welcome

#1 Hollie Jenkins, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  2. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums Senior

Sorry about your experience and your poor female. Are you asking how to care for the puppies yourself? You will need to feed them every 2-3hours, stimulate them to potty and make sure they stay warm, keep your ambient temp up 85-90 and you can provide a heating pad in part of their area.

Sproglet likes this.
  3. Hollie Jenkins

I have updated the post it added before I could finish typing

4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

How devastating for you, so very sorry.
    I believe there is a Facebook group for motherless puppies which you can post on to find a bitch who has either lost her puppies or only a few who may be able to adopt them. Hopefully someone will be along to give the name of the group

As for feeding and toileting the puppies, have a look on YouTube as there are videos which help you. They may need to be tube fed, but you need to be more experienced in doing this and may require vet help. Do you have a mentor, someone like your dogs breeder who can help and advise you?

Sproglet, SingingWhippet and Rafa like this.
  5. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It is critical that you keep the pups very warm. Without their Mother, they could quickly become chilled.

Continue to feed them every 2/3 hours and, as SpicyBulldog says, stimulate them to wee and poop. If you use some dampened cotton wool and gently massage their bottoms, that should work.

If you can keep them going for two weeks, all being well, you can begin weaning them.

Whereabouts do you live?

SpicyBulldog likes this.
  6. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

Whereabouts are you? There are groups on Facebook dedicated to pairing orphaned puppies up with foster bitches, this is the UK one and there are others for different locations such as this one for the US

The pups will have a much better chance if they're put with a bitch if it's possible rather than being hand reared. If hand rearing ends up being your only option then you should also be able to get good advice on doing that from such a group as well.

Sproglet likes this.
  7. Hollie Jenkins

Yes i live in cheshire my breeder has given me great advice and also said about putting them to a bitch but she doesn't have one and she worries about cross contamination

8. Hollie Jenkins

Cheshire were doing exactly that

9. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Hopefully, the pups will have had colostrum from Mum, which goes very much in their favour.

I too believe you should aim to join a Group and, if you cannot find a foster bitch, you will get support and advice from others who are in similar circumstances.

10. Hollie Jenkins

The problem with a surrogate is trusting someone you don't know with your litter

11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Have a look at the Champdogs Forum.

They promote responsible breeding. Someone on there may be able to help.

Sproglet likes this.
  12. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

What breed are the puppies? You could also try contacting the relevant regional breed club to see if there are any members local to you who have litters on the ground and could possibly take on the pups.

Sproglet and Rafa like this.
  13. SpicyBulldog

SpicyBulldog PetForums Senior

I like to syringe feed with nipple myself when they are small and move onto a bottle later. You want to make sure the pups don't get formula in their lungs as it can lead to pneumonia.