Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppies toileting habits at night

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Monsters, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Monsters

Monsters PetForums Newbie

Hello Im new on this site, and also new to having puppies - 13 week old cockacavapooshan!! Or monsters LOL They are brother and sister and doing well with basic training. They will sit at the door to indicate they need toilet and we have only had the odd accident so far! Main concern is the frequency they need to poo at night. They are crated overnight and was sleeping from 1030pm til 5am. Now they are needing to poo several times at night 1130pm , 130 / 2am, 430am. Each time I get up or my partner gets up they immediately go to the door to be let out, they then both have a poo and then come straight back into the crate. I dont speak so there is no fuss made. I did try leaving them (ignoring the cry) but unfortunately the next morning they had messed the crate and was clearly distressed.I noticed they was not eating much (dry gravel Iams). We have changed food routine, smae brand but soaked in a little warm water and put it out 6am and again at 430pm. Once they have eaten I am immediately taking them for a walk or playing in the garden. We are only on day 1 of new routine but just looking for ideas or reassurance we are doing the right thing.

I will upload photos soon

xxxxxx

2. wee man

wee man PetForums Senior

I would suggest that if you want less poo from your puppies, that you change to a raw diet. Poo's are much smaller, harder and far less is produced, as more can be processed and digested in their stomachs. :rolleyes:
    You will no doubt get replies that disagree with my suggestion.. :oops:

lorilu and niamh123 like this.
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Considering raw food is high in water it's not that more is processed it's that once you remove the water content there is small amount of food to be processed..which is the same with kibble which has fresh meat instead of meal lower meat content due to the moisture removed.

Are smaller poos necessarily a good thing too?

Not all those who feed a variety of raw, kibble and wet see a marked difference between the amount of poo, size etc

To @Monsters are the puppies having free access to the food all day? Or having set meal times balanced out throughout the day? If they are not having set meal times, with a measured amount per puppy per day then this may be your problem of the night time pooing.

O2.0, Jamesgoeswalkies and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

If you feed only raw the dogs eliminate a lot less .Also they have a sparkling teeth and very few dogs fed raw will need to have their anal glands emptied in my opinion raw is best I know not everyone can feed raw but if you can I would recommend it:)

lorilu and wee man like this.
  5. lullabydream

This is your opinion... There have been other raw feeders who can tell you different @rottiepointerhouse springs to mind.
    Dentition, and sparkly white teeth in dogs is very dependent on breed as well.

The OP isn't asking about a change of diet, asking about toileting habits

O2.0, Blitz and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I think the main issue here is that no puppy needs to poo that much at night (whatever they are fed on) so it has to be with the amount and time that the food is gong in and whether they have time to digest and poo it out before bed - which they clearly don't.

I have never had a puppy do more than the occasional poo overnight and I feed kibble to pups . However, I will also say that with two puppies, training tends to be 10 times as hard as sometimes it will be one puppy waking and then it will be other puppy. So it ends up being rather continuous.

In my opinion, puppies of 13 weeks should be on three separate meals a day with a biscuit at bedtime (to avoid acid tummies). I wouldn't have thought that it would be necessary to soak it as their teeth are great by that age (although i know some people do wet the food). Personally, I would start portion control on each puppy so you know exactly what time the food goes in and what time it is due out. At 13 weeks it isn't immediately after feeding. Time it, plan it and feed to this routine. Regardless of what you feed your puppy (wet/dry/combination/raw etc) I would be giving the same advice.

If your puppies have a habit now of waking to toilet then yo may have to whittle it down gradually to letting them out once at night (set an alarm and take them out) until they feel they can manage for themselves.

J

O2.0, LinznMilly and lullabydream like this.
  7. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

And another tip to help with that is to put a few kernels of cooked sweetcorn into one meal - that will help you see exactly how long it takes for that meal to digest.

8. lullabydream

It doesn't have to be sweetcorn, any raw veg can't be processed but mushed or frozen can

9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I just think sweetcorn is particularly easy to spot!

niamh123 and lullabydream like this.
  10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Bates goes for weeks at a time eating only raw, his poops are no different when he's eating raw to when he's eating kibble, to when he's eating home-cooked. He's pretty regular too.
    Never had anal gland issues, never had a tooth cleaning and he's 11, his teeth are great.

@Monsters raw is great if it works for you and you do it right.
    With a growing puppy I would not switch to raw unless you have researched it well, preferably have a mentor of some sort and are not going to screw up the ratios and end up with growth issues. Granted, I'm assuming a cockacavapooshan (?? o_Oo_O) is a small breed, but I would still be very cautious.
    The nice thing about a good quality kibble is that the nutritional guesswork is already done for you. (Iams is not IMO of the best quality, there are better options for equal or even less price).
    Please don't feel pressured in to changing food though. Really the best food is what works for you and your dogs.

As to the toileting, just want to reiterate what @Jamesgoeswalkies said about littermates, it's definitely going to be harder with them feeding off each other. Make sure they're each eating their own meal, not sharing. That way you have a clear idea of how much each one is getting when.
    And agree that they don't need their kibble soaked.

11. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

And I don't think anyone has said it, it's not directly related to toileting but please read up about littermate syndrome too.

O2.0 likes this.
  12. lullabydream

Same here in my household.... I know whose done which poo, but the size is no different no matter what food they have eaten, and apart from the odd kibble change with Eevee; all dogs are regular. Even Harley has meal in meal out! So not excessive.

Jovi had great teeth. Lived to a good age, and I did look at dog food then. How things change though because a lot was about protein content...nothing about ingredients..as people weren't rating tripe and biscuits at the time and tripe or raw was hard to source and our slaughter house closed down. Funny how things change eh!

O2.0 likes this.
  13. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

LOL I meant to say this in my post! Must finish coffee before posting! :D
    Thanks for reading my mind though!

lullabydream and JoanneF like this.
  14. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

McKenzie is on one of the those horrible hydrolysied protein diets, the ones that aren’t made of real food. Pretty much the direct opposite to raw. I’ve never seen such tiny poops. Way smaller than she ever had on raw. Any less and she wouldn’t be pooping at all. So I don’t think it’s as black and white as raw=small poops and anything else=elephant poops.

lullabydream and Mum2Heidi like this.
  15. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Are they crated in the same room as you at night?
    Moving Heidi’s crate to our room made a huge difference. She no longer needed to pooh overnight.
    She had been asking by day when were around but stressing overnight when we weren’t.
    If it works, you can gradually move the crate to where you prefer them sleeping.... if it’s an issue.

A change of food is probably the last thing they need during the settling in period.

#15 Mum2Heidi, Aug 12, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    lullabydream and O2.0 like this.
  16. Monsters

Thank you all for the advice really appreciate it! I have started measuring food, slightly moist and timing their feed. Food is removed after 45 mins. Love the idea of sweetcorn trick will be doing that tomorrow!! They only got up once last night for a really good poo (omg when did I get excited about poo???).
    Looking through the forum I think they were possibly constipated and then not eating enough to eliminate fully. Fingers crossed I am doing the right thing for them. They only cry for toilet and once out of crate they sit at the door, then they come straight back to bed no fuss.

I welcome any advice / tips. Thanks again Love The Monster Clan xxxxx

17. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Do you feed them separately, or do they share bowls?

I would leave the food down for 20 minutes or even less. I'm a meanie and if you walk away from food, I take it up.
    Now is the time to teach them to eat when food is put down, and not mess around.

As little as they are I would also think about one (or more) of their meals being part of their training treats.

18. Monsters

Hello....OMG the monsters slept all night!!!! I have been feeding them separate and I know who's poo is which as they have both go there regular spot! And Pet detective has nothing on me LOL. Since giving the kibble a little bit moisture and removing food they are back to normal regarding the consistency. I have tried the sweetcorn trick today so will keep eye out for the yellow flecks......sherlock holmes here I come lol
    I have briefly looked at other brands but so many brands, i'm worried about changing and then the brand stops! Anyway Il stick with what we are doing and see how we go. Thanks again for your kindness. I love my monsters and only want to do the best for them : )

The Monster Clan

niamh123 and lullabydream like this.
  19. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Often the feeding guides on food err on the generous side, so if they are pooing lots it could be that you are slightly over feeding them, I have cavachons and feed them mainly on Canagan dry food with a few table scraps and it seems to suit them well.

You should have them on 4 meals a day as young pups, go little and often as they only have small tums.

You might also want to look up and read a bit about littermate syndrome, as two pups can become overly reliant on each other, so you need to give them special one on one time to train and walk them so they don't rely on each other and can be happy little dogs.

lullabydream likes this.
  20. Monsters

Hello, Thanks for the advice. I will have a look at that brand of food. Toilet habits seem to be back on track and normal!! Currently going through a biting stage OMG
    Happy monsters : )

lullabydream likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice