Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppies still have the runs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Spaniel mad, Jul 25, 2009.

1. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

Well i have had my pups for almost 2 weeks and they still have the runs.

All the vet keeps saying is i need to give the hills time to work through, I told them i toook the hills away as its full of crap and made the runs worse

Its not runny runny, just very loose and i swear they are going way to much. At least 3 times each in the nite

anyway

I was going to starve them for a day, Leave the burns biscuits down which they dont like anyway.

Then tomorrow give them chicken and rice and then slowly work the nature diet into it.

What do you reckon???

2. rona

rona Guest

I think they are getting too many changes of food, their tummies have no time to settle. Did you not say that the Hills was working?

3. Spaniel mad

Yeah i said the hills made their pooh worse, was all slimy and they said thats normal. When we got them here they were on supadog but would not eat it so we put them on pedigree chum wet and chudleys dry but the vet said to put them on hills. We did introduce slowly but didnt make much difference.

Thats y i was thinking of starving them for a day to give their bellies time to settle

4. Buggles

Buggles PetForums Senior

Yes, definately need to starve them for 24 hours. I wouldn't leave the burns down as they will eat that if there is nothing else, even if they dont like it.

Then chicken and rice for a couple of days, gradually adding in their proper food.

5. rona

rona Guest

So what did the vet think was causing it?
    You could try this, but check with your vet first, I'm amazed that vets don't automatically give this for upset tums
    MedicAnimal, pet care with a conscience

6. rona

rona Guest

I don't like starving small puppies, it can lead to dehydration

7. Spaniel mad

They do drink plenty of water and i will make sure they carry on drinking loads. Just dont know what to do. It cant be nice for them and its like we cant enjoy them properly

8. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

it could be all the changes, tbh it doesn't sound so loose as to worry about starving them. I would recommend the paste that rona has recommended, sticking with the nature diet, if they really won't eat the burns then start introducing the Arden grange. I would also recommend heal herbal supplement from csj. It takes a couple of weeks to start working properly but is very good

9. Spaniel mad

They love the nature diet. I just worry because sometimes its all slimey and watery where other times its just wet (if that makes sense) I am putting the burns in with the nature diet and they are picking at it and leaving the burns. I went back to the shop yesterday to get the Arden Grange and they said the Arden Grange is quite rich and might upset their tummies more??

Should i give them some chicken and rice or just stick with the Nature diet??

I will phone vet and mention that paste and see what they say.

10. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes the vet gave my puppy some of that when she had an upset tummy after we first got her and it's good stuff I think, it did the trick with our puppy. I bought some more from VetUk for about £6 something just to have in for emergencys.

Our pup is on puppy naturediet now and her poo's are really solid.:D

11. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

No I agree with that - I don't think puppies should be starved at all, it can cause more problems than it solves. I would try a bit of scrambled egg or boiled chicken with rice. That Royal canin chicken and rice seems good and I think you can buy that online. The vet gave us a recovery pack with three tins of it as well as the pro-kolin and she was fine when she was on that and I gradually swapped her over to the nature diet and she's been fine since.

12. Spaniel mad

Just phoned the vet again. They said they dont do Pro-kolin but they have pro max. The nurse suggested i just try feeding them chicken and rice for a few days and if that doesnt settle then they could have an infection of some sort

13. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I'd follow what the nurse say's then it give's you time to make up your mind what your going to feed them:)

14. Spaniel mad

Im worried now that if they have some sort of bug my big dogs could catch it

15. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Pro max is probably something similar. VetUk is usually very quick delivery if you want to order one from there and it's cheaper than the vets too.

16. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Are they from the same litter and how old are they? Are they vomiting too? Have they been vaccinated and wormed?
    Sorry for all the questions :laugh:

17. Spaniel mad

Vet said to see if the chic and rice works first coz if it doesnt it means they have a bug or something

I have never had so many problems with pups before

18. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Our puppy was the same when we first brought her home. We didn't get her from a breeder but a couple that had had her a week and then the lady who previously had been on part time work got offered full time work so they had to rehome the pup. They had run out of food and started feeding her on Bakers which isn't good for them so I started to change it over to JWB lamb and rice but she got diarrhoea a few days after we brought her home so we took her to the vets and she gave us the Royal canin chicken and rice and the pro-kolin syringe. She said when it goes on for a few days they can get a touch of colitus so maybe that's what your pups have got.:confused:

19. Spaniel mad

Yes they are from the same litter
    They will be 9 weeks old on monday
    I wormed them with panacur paste when we got them and they had their first vaccination on monday

20. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Did they have diarrhoea before the vaccination? Our pup was okay until she had her vaccination and then I wormed her the next day so wondered if this had upset her a bit. The pro-kolin paste is very good though I think and it helps to stop the diarrhoea and helps to treat colitus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice