UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a member for a while and lurked quite a bit for a while and felt it was time to write something that has been on my mind for a very long time.

There seems to be yet more people breeding puppies from their pet dogs for the same old reasons;

1. My dogs so wonderfu/lovely temperament/handsome/beautiful etcl, I want one just like him/her so we are having just one litter.
2. My children would love to see the birth of puppies, its educational
3. Mating him/her will do him good.
4. My vet said that she should have one litter.

And the list goes on..!!

As someone who is involved in rescue, I see on a daily basis the pleas from Dog wardens, Pounds, Council Kennels (yes there are many reputable ones), rescues asking for help to rehome or just save from PTS dogs who are no longer wanted, and not just old ones, there are Puppies just a few weeks old as well as Old dogs turfed out for being old.

Many of these are Staffies, Bullies, Rotties, Mastiffs, the breeds that have had a bad press lately, yet still inexperienced people insist on breeding them with the excuse that 'my mates and family will ave one'!

What happens if they change their minds? Rescues are overflowing, what will you do then?

Unfortunately, the people reading this are probably the responsible ones and the ones that couldn't care a jot wont bother.

I do however feel better having got it out in the open

G

·
It really is a terrible problem. I think even semi responsible breeders are finding themselves with really good quality pups left.

I was horrified when i saw the stats on abandonments in the last 12 months.

:(:(:(

·
Registered
698 Posts
Can I just say that I would never have bred if I did not know I had homes for my puppies, 50% had homes before the mating the others came before the pups were born but I knew they were there waiting for puppies in our breed and I will qite happily keep any that may not go in the end or may come back.

I do find it sad that people think their mates will take the pups - if only it were that easy, how many 'buyers' fall away once they realise how much the commitment is to a puppy.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hiya, Yes it's a terrible problem, I think its disgusting people turf out their dog coz it's old! But for the record all my pups were reseved before they were even born! I'm happy with all the homes they're going to as I've picked the best from my list!
Its great that u work with rescue dogs, I bet u feel like crying sometimes, I remember going to our local dog pound years ago looking for a dog, A beautiful boxer was heavily pregnant and I felt so sorry for her and her babies :(
Great post! x

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Can I just say that I would never have bred if I did not know I had homes for my puppies, 50% had homes before the mating the others came before the pups were born but I knew they were there waiting for puppies in our breed and I will qite happily keep any that may not go in the end or may come back.

I do find it sad that people think their mates will take the pups - if only it were that easy, how many 'buyers' fall away once they realise how much the commitment is to a puppy.
I dont think this was aimed at you ( I hope not) I think it was more the people that do it just for the experience and dont do the proper health/temperament testing. I know you took breeding your bitch very seriously.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, this post was not aimed at the 'real breeders' those that are breeding for the good of the breed, showing, working etc, I take my hats off to you all, you are likely to have waiting lists for pups, know all the pitfalls and expense of breeding as well as the long nights and heartaches that can also happen..

I am more concerned with the people that want to breed 'just one litter', go to their local parks and 'mate' their dogs (yep I have seen it!) or arrange in their local pub to mate their pet dogs, 'coz it'd be nice to have one to keep'.

The people who breed so they can 'make a bit of pocket money/holiday money', those that go into it with no idea of the consequences.

You can change people's attitude, I know, we have challenged a few people over their reasons for mating by education on another forum, with very positive results.

A BIG hello to all those that know me from elsewhere:smilewinkgrin: I get around..:D

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
Yet again another post about breeding, what is the matter with people???????
if ur referring this to the one i think u do then those type of people come here to get advice because they thinking about breeding their dog and try to do it right and people on here are there for them to point them in the right directions and also to educate them on the matter if its an good idea or not and what it takes....there is nothing wrong with this imo :)

of course there are those who dont listen to the advice given but u give them a chance first... :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am sorry, but WHY???

WHY breed from your pet dog???

We should be disuading people from breeding from their pets, not encouraging them, there are far too many puppies bred from unhealthchecked, first time pet breeders.

As I mentioned way back, fine if they researched their puppy because they wanted to go onto breed later, they will have got a good pup from good lines, asked their breeder to mentor them and go from there.

I am sorry, I cannot condone irresponsible breeding.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
I am sorry, but WHY???

We should be disuading people from breeding from their pets, not encouraging them, there are far too many puppies bred from unhealthchecked, first time pet breeders.

As I mentioned way back, fine if they researched their puppy because they wanted to go onto breed later, they will have got a good pup from good lines, asked their breeder to mentor them and go from there.

so cant i condone it, thats why i rather people educate them and point them in the right directions and advice them :) that includes getting health tests done, getting dogs examined if its of an good example and so on and so on.... :)

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
We do need stronger laws for the welfare of breeding dogs.
We need some sort of licencing system that puts the wrong people off getting puppies in the first place and then letting them breed.
Puppy farms do not help and should be banned.
I think that genuine people who breed thier dogs for the sake of the breed should be allowed to. I also think that many breeders are responsible for their pups for the remainder of their life, but obviously there are the ones that do it for gain.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I am sorry, but WHY???

I know you feel strongly about this but some people do not know the "ins and outs" of breeding I admit I had no idea until coming on here and learning from the "proper" breeders and would never now breed my bitch. As said above I think those people coming on here might help them realise (like I did) whats involved...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.