Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppies having milk for first time help

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Dylanjonespets, May 18, 2019.

1. Dylanjonespets

Dylanjonespets PetForums Newbie

I have 6 jack russel pups they are only just over 3 weeks now and we are trying to get them to drink puppy milk lactol aswell as milk from mum. They have little tiny bits but not enough. I have tried small dog bowls, small puppy bowls, plate,bottle. They still seem not to want the milk/eager to have it.They have had small puppy biscuits too.

2. Dylanjonespets

Dylanjonespets PetForums Newbie

edit just fed them wet puppy food and they loved it

3. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I would carry on with the puppy food but keep trying them with the lactol and water:)

4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I tend to think of it as a process as the puppies teeth come through and they become more able to digest food - so starting with a thickened puppy formula (use puppy porridge) which works to teach lapping, then graduate upwards onto softened kibble (formula soaked) and eventually on to dry kibble by 7 weeks or so. Then the pups are ready for their new homes. You can of course add or divert onto raw or tinned/wet depending on what food you are intending to bring the puppies up on. The idea is to ensure they have all their nutrients as they grow.

And leave them water down at all times.

J

niamh123 and Linda Weasel like this.
  5. Udon

Udon PetForums Member

Is feeding puppy formula a common thing? Why displace mum’s milk, which is a live product full of hundreds of ingredients and live antibodies, with something fake mixed with water that had no calories?

6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Puppies need to be weaned - their mum starts to wean them from around three weeks of age by stopping them from drinking from her - this is a natural behaviour - indeed you could express mums milk and bottle it and feed it four to six times a day mixed in with their softened food but this would perpetuate her production of milk which would not be in either her best interest or really in the best interest of the weaning puppies as mum drying up is part of the weaning process. So most of us wean onto formula to gradually introduce the right consistency for growing pups and then use warm water until they are able to eat natural food. A short process.

J

7. Udon

Udon PetForums Member

Imagine milking a dog lol :D

What’s the process in the mild for canids weaning then?

8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

For the reasons James has given and also, it would be very unfair on Mum to allow pups to feed from her until they are eight weeks old and very unfair on the pups to literally take them away from Mum only on the day they go to their new homes.

It is in the best interests of pups and their Mum for them to be fully weaned when they go out into the World.

9. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Wild dogs, wolves, etc., nurse their pups for several weeks and then regurgitate meat for them.

lullabydream likes this.
  10. Udon

Udon PetForums Member

Oooh! I guess it’s all mashed up that way yeah. I wonder if dogs still retain that behaviour.

11. Jamesgoeswalkies

They can - although it is not that common as during the weaning process (when mum says no more milk) domestication has ensured that we take over the feeding (putting the pups onto to mushy solids) and so the puppies don't solicit mum for 'food'. In the wild hungry young lick their mothers mouth area - the signal they are hungry - and the bitch regurgitates her food. Birds regurgitate for their young - as their babies are completely dependent on them for survival.

J

niamh123 and lullabydream like this.
  12. Adam Conrad

Adam Conrad PetForums Newbie

only when
    1. the mum is not available or doesn't produce milk
    2. Doesn't produce enough milk (especially young mums) so you syringe/bottle feed for additional nutrition
    I tested replacements like Esbilac they are OK, but they do not replace the colostrum!

13. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

In newborn pups, yes, there really is nothing better than Mum's milk.

However, this thread is about weaning and, of course, all pups have to be weaned off their Mum and onto solid foods before leaving for their new homes.

niamh123 likes this.
  14. Adam Conrad

Adam Conrad PetForums Newbie

Cheers Rafa :), a theoretical question...
    What is the longest the puppies go on drinking mum's milk? (provided we trim nails - no painful scratching on nipples + they don't bite too hard on the mum )

15. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I suppose it varies from breeder to breeder, but I used to begin weaning at three weeks and set up a situation where Mum could be in with her pups or jump out and leave them.

Most bitches will spend short spells with their pups, to allow them a top up.

I used to have pups completely weaned by six weeks of age, to give them plenty time to make the break from Mum before going off to their new homes.

niamh123 likes this.
  16. Jamesgoeswalkies

Puppies will go on drinking it as long as they are allowed and as long as there is milk available I suspect ... generally I find that as soon as the puppies are able to eat (have teethe and show interest in food) mum starts to redirect them away herself (growls at them) and her milk production lessens. I have had one bitch who made no effort to redirect her pups and would have fed them as they were running around at 8 weeks had I let her. Generally though I start weaning around three weeks - but allow drinking at night and after they have been fed. And yes, allow mum an escape route from pups. Then it's a gradual process but it is important (for both mum and pups) to have them fully weaned when they leave home.

J

niamh123 and Rafa like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice