Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Puppies having milk for first time help

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Dylanjonespets, May 18, 2019 at 9:05 AM.

1. Dylanjonespets

Dylanjonespets PetForums Newbie

I have 6 jack russel pups they are only just over 3 weeks now and we are trying to get them to drink puppy milk lactol aswell as milk from mum. They have little tiny bits but not enough. I have tried small dog bowls, small puppy bowls, plate,bottle. They still seem not to want the milk/eager to have it.They have had small puppy biscuits too.

2. Dylanjonespets

Dylanjonespets PetForums Newbie

edit just fed them wet puppy food and they loved it

3. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I would carry on with the puppy food but keep trying them with the lactol and water:)

4. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I tend to think of it as a process as the puppies teeth come through and they become more able to digest food - so starting with a thickened puppy formula (use puppy porridge) which works to teach lapping, then graduate upwards onto softened kibble (formula soaked) and eventually on to dry kibble by 7 weeks or so. Then the pups are ready for their new homes. You can of course add or divert onto raw or tinned/wet depending on what food you are intending to bring the puppies up on. The idea is to ensure they have all their nutrients as they grow.

And leave them water down at all times.

J

niamh123 and Linda Weasel like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice