UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK I think I found my little boy! :D

He's gonna be here in the next week or two.

I wasn't in chair when got Inca so she was passed the pulling stage before that happened.

I looked at the 'perfect fit harness' which has a ring at the front also to help with stopping pulling. I'm not a fan of head collars at all. I tried one on Inca and she slipped it near a main road when she was young!

He's pedigree border collie so I'm guessing he's gonna outgrow his first harness pretty quick. which one's are the most adjustable that would fit him over 2-3 sizes or something?

Thanks

Leigh

Attachments

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think your best bet will be to get a perfect fit harness. Then as he grows you can just replace certain pieces of the harness when he grows out of them.

As for the size of it, you will probably have to go for the 15mm range and get an xxs or xs depending on the size of your little lad.

They are pretty expensive though, especially if you are going to have to replace the harness as he grows. So it might be better to buy just basic harnesses for now that dont cost too much. Then once he gets older you can buy a perfect fit one.
He might not have problems pulling on the lead, but even so i much prefer walking on harnesses.

PS. he is a cute little thing!!!

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I got some other good pics but I love that one of him on his back holding his teddy in the air..lol! I'm gonna call him Jesse Jay (JJ for short). It was that or Ollie the Collie! ..lol!

What cheap first harnesses can you recommend? do you mean the Puppia ones? ..like vests as his first one?

Any good cheap light waterproof coats for his first winter? I know BC's have a double coat and waterproof bred for working out in all weathers, but it just makes it so much easier for me to physically dry them off if we get caught out in heavy shower.

Inca has a lovely Hurtta jacket with fleece lining. It wasn't cheap but she's had it years, washes and dries great and has reflective piping/logo on and her back is always dry as a bone when take it off even if outer coat is soaked. I'd probably wait until he reached full size to get him one (unless happened to spot a used one in smaller size on ebay or something)

Would the IZ coat with built in harness and fleece lining be ok as his first winter coat? Looks like designed for small breeds, always see Jack Russells or something modelling them, maybe he'd outgrow it too fast?

·
Registered
367 Posts
I love the name Ollie! But JJ is a nice name too :)

Any harness would do, provided its a good design. I think a trixie harness would do you,its a good design and cheap.
Great Deals on Dog Harnesses and Dog Accessories at zooplus: Trixie Dog Harness with Reflective Paws
petshops usually do some decent cheaper harnesses.

As for coats, if you are ok ordering online then have a look at zooplus.co.uk, they do some good coats at reasonable prices.
I have an animate coat for Oscar, but i am looking into getting him an equafleece tankie in the future. They aren't as expensive as hurtta coats and they get lots of praise, i've never heard anything bad about them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.