Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppies fighting - how to stop it?!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by JadeR36, Dec 20, 2019.

1. JadeR36

JadeR36 PetForums Newbie

Hi! I have a 16 week old Labrador puppy (male) and my Mum has his brother, from the same litter.
    I do not live with my Mum so the puppies do not live together but we would like to be able to spend time with them together/bring the puppies to each other’s houses, go on walks etc.

HOWEVER, whenever they are put together they fight CONSTANTLY - no breaks at all unless we separate them and put them in different rooms. Initially it looks like play fighting but there has been a couple of occasions where they have been play fighting and then become serious with hackles raised and firm lip growling. We try to leave them to it as long as they are not hurting each other but they DO NOT stop or take any real breaks - what can we do about this?

We are supposed to all be spending Christmas together and it would be nice to have them co-existing in the same room without jumping all over each other! Help!

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome :)

These pups are only 16 weeks old. They have no clue how to interact with each other appropriately, no impulse control, no social cues... They're going to need guidance from you.
    So it is going to fall on you to separate them before they get over aroused, have separate spaces for them, and, yup, you'll have to mediate constantly.
    Unless you know someone with a play police dog, that works too :)

Lurcherlad and Jamesgoeswalkies like this.
  3. JadeR36

JadeR36 PetForums Newbie

I did think that would be the case as they are still so young but I didn’t know whether there may have been some little tricks that I hadn’t heard of ;) We’ll be able to keep an eye on them at all times as there is always at least 2 people around when they are together so we can separate them when we need to and we can just hope they may be a little calmer with each other as they get older and learn through their experiences! Thank you :)

O2.0 likes this.
  4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

You can always keep them on leads when together so someone can quickly grab and move them away if you are too slow to stop them getting too silly. I'd avoid them having any interaction that's exciting, instead lots of calmness and learning to chill out together, and also teaching them how to take turns and learning names. Get them to sit side by side and then slowly deliver them treats one after the other. Say the name before you give them the treat so they start to learn when it's their turn. If they jump up move the treat back and then slowly deliver it again.

Torin., Burrowzig, O2.0 and 2 others like this.
  5. Ian246

Ian246 PetForums VIP

I’d like to see 16 week old puppies sitting calmly side by side! :)

Sarah H likes this.
  6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Photo from my puppy class - it can be done!

puppies sitting.jpg

LittleMow, JoanneF and Torin. like this.
  7. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Named treats as an activity is done as a puppy class activity by the people I trust near me :) I actually nabbed it as an idea to do with Moril and Cadvan from them!

Sarah H and JoanneF like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice