Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppies due in a few weeks into established dog house

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Erogers, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Erogers

Erogers PetForums Newbie

I have two dogs, Mother and daughter and daughter is due to whelp in a few weeks time. Pregnancy has gone really well and whilst Mum-to-be curious and clearly aware of what is going on am keen on any other experiences around the arrival of the litter. Both dogs currently sleep in the same room and am wondering if I should make any changes when litter arrives. Mum-to-be will be anxious I am sure and old mum is a big soppy but want to avoid tensions and stess, I don't want to favour, everyone has seperate beds and mum-to-be has large whelping box just for her, was keen to hear of similar experiences.

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Its a bit quiet on here this evening, so you may have to be patient in waiting for an answer :)

Ive never bred, so cant help you.

What dogs have you got?

3. davehyde

davehyde Banned

my breeder has two breeding bitches.

one year they both got caught almost at the same time and she had two whelping boxes side by side.

the litters ended up with only a week between them

anyway, the pups and mothers were marvelous, no murmurs of jealousy or anything and the funny thing was the puppers werent bothered which teat they went to and the mums didnt seem to bother either.

it was only in the final weeks of whelping when one mums milk was drying up she had to ensure the younger litter went to the right mum.

dont know if it helps but i was quite amazed.

4. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

ok my experience...i have two females , one has never had pups and she is the daughter of the older dog, when my mum dog went into labour, she was in bed with her daughter and our rescue dog at the time, i saw her sit up and start panting and thought right thats it nows the time and i took the male rescue dog out of the room and also the daughter. She had pups and i believe we kept daughter out of room for 24 hours after that we supervised both dogs to see how they got on, i shouldnt of worried, the daughter loved them to bits, if mum went to the loo outside, daughter took over washing of them, lol, she was brilliant with them, if she got a bit too much ie washing the pups more than mum was happy with then mum let her know and she would sit just a little way away from them, but watching them all the time. They have always been really close and even though the pups are older now (we have two left at home) the daughter still lays ontop of mum as she did when she was a pup when its bed time, she is bigger than mum now lol but mum doesnt seem to mind at all. The male dog was fine around the mum and pups , infact he showed no intrest in them at all, but he is a funny dog anyway lol and he sleeps in a different room at night anyway so i didnt have that problem. I would say you know your dogs more than anyone else and as long as they are supervised then watch how they get on, if unsure take out of room when you are not there.

5. wooliewoo

wooliewoo PetForums VIP

We have mum and daughter. Daughter is due any day. She has her own whelping box but at moment is still chooseing to sleep near mum.
    When her time comes she will go into her box with her pups. Mum will be kept away during whelp but we found it wasnt fair to either dog to keep them apart alltogether as they have been side by side for 3 years.
    Mum will keep an eye on things from a distance and daughter will look to mum for reassurance......generally mum leaves pups to daughters care but is alert and watching all times.

Bless out girl woddles over to her mum and gives her a kiss then gets back in her box

6. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I had mother and daughter whippets both pregnant at the same time. Daughter had irregular seasons and came into season not long after mum was mated as pups were also booked of daughter and we had no idea when she would next be in season we had no choice but to mate her too. The older bitch is pup mad and the younger a new mum not sure what to do. There is no way I would let these bitches whelp in the same room. They were ok when the pups were older in fact I have a photo of the older bitch suckling pups from both litters at the same time.

Bitches like there privacy when they are whelping I would leave them as they are for now but when the time comes I would take the daughter into another room. My bitches all get on really well but I would not let one of them near another bitches pups.

7. poochimama

poochimama PetForums Senior

from personal experience id not let any of my girls whelp in same room . some bitches can be really protective towards new babies i know molly doesnt like the other dogs anywhere near her pen when she has puppies .

8. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

I had 2 litters 2 days apart and why the girls were whelping the other dogs were out of the room when the girl had finished having her pups i would let the other girls look from a distance and then when the mums were ready to let other dogs near them i knew they would be ok

My bitch i bred out of last year mothers and cleans both litters and both my girls share both pups now 3 wks old as they keep moving from pen to pen

The white bitch in the photos is not the other mum she is my other whippet who had pups last year

Attached Files:

9. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I can't find the photo I was after photobucket is being that slow or the photo may be on my dead laptop but her are a couple of my 2 girls

This is Tegan's pups trying to suckle of Rosie who wasn't going to let them have her babies precious milk
    [​IMG]

Eventually she gave up and let them mum is the solid brindle the parti colour is her eldest daughter and half sister to the pups.
    [​IMG]

I see if I can find the other photo. These pups are a copule of weeks old and mother and daughter are very close I wouldn't normally let bitches near othe bitches pups.

10. Yorkshire mum

Yorkshire mum PetForums Junior

It depends on the dog doesnt it, no matter how close a first time mum is going to be protective and I would give her the privacy. Ideally she should be beside your bed!

11. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

We had three bitches whelp with in a 2 weeks period last year, all three bitches get really well normally but when they are due to give birth they are seperated as I would hate to see what would happen otherise as my girls become very protective of their babies it's only when the babies got to around 3-4 weeks old and starting ot toddle that the pups start to mingle with each other, my two pom girls who are mother and daughter shared their pups but the chihuahua would do some serious damage if any of the other dogs went near to her and her pups.

I have only one girl due next week and she is already seperat form the other girls at night she is by my bed in her whelping box, but through the day she is down stairs with the others but has her box there if she wants to get away form them.

take care
    Sarah

12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

In the photos I posted the pups are all Tegan's. Although Rosie was prepared to allow Tegan's pup suckle of her she was not prepared at that time to allow Tegan near her pups. Her pups were in the pen in the corner of the photo. It was not until about a week later that she was happy for her mother to be near her pups. Saying that she was quite happy to take William her best friend to see her babies. She kept running from him to the pups pen until he followed her she went inside and allowed him to follow her inside to see the pups.

If Freyja had had pups none of the other bitches would have been allowed any were near them.

13. amywatkin

amywatkin PetForums Newbie

Omg 3 litters that must have been tiering

#13 amywatkin, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice