Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Puppies Aren’t nursing that well??

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Spock1, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Spock1

Spock1 What?

Shitzu Puppies born last night keep crying and crying, at first I thought they couldn’t get to the milk because my girls hair is so long, so I shaved her (heartbreaking) but now they can find the nipples but still aren’t sucking, it’s like there searching for the milk but don’t know how to find it I even opened there mouths and put it over the nipple and still refuse to suckle there are 9 puppies, some are fat and round some are slim, this is my first time breeding my girl, I’m not sure what to do, this is her first litter also she’s 2 years old and is an excellent mother, I checked her nipples they are producing enough milk so I don’t know what’s wrong, no cleft palates or anything.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It is not normal for newborns to be crying.

If your bitch has milk and the pups are not suckling, something is clearly amiss.

Have you had them checked by a Vet to be sure there is no physical cause? Did you weigh them at birth?

kimthecat likes this.
  3. Spock1

Spock1 What?

I took them to the vet early this morning she said there is nothing physical wrong with them.

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Nine is a huge litter for a Shi Tzu. It's possible the pups are pushing each other out.

I would try supplementary feeding. If their colouring/markings doesn't distinguish them, I would put an identifying mark on each pup. Try feeding three of them and see if they then stop fussing and sleep.

If it works, then rotate them, leaving six with Mum and supplementing three every two hours.

You could be facing a lot of work.

5. Spock1

Spock1 What?

I’ve raised a full litter of newborn kittens before, I put all the pups on the nipples finally and they settled, but then my other dog wandered in and my girl got all defensive, and got up and all the puppies fell off the nipples I put them back on again (the ones with the slim bellies) now they suckling but whining and whingeing, A bit while sucking is this normal?

6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

A little bit of squeaky noise whilst beginning to feed is normal, but they should then settle and sleep, once they have had enough.

You need to begin weighing them, I would say morning and evening, as you need to know if any are losing weight.

I would not allow your other dog in the same room at all. As you've seen, your bitch became agitated and that can affect nursing significantly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice