Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppies and Bones

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by vicki.burns, Apr 24, 2011.

1. vicki.burns

vicki.burns PetForums Senior

My Pup is now just over 16 weeks and has just lost two of his baby teeth; I really want to give him a bone or a pigs ear or something like that to chew on but I don't know if he is too young for anything like that.

Any thoughts?

2. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Probably best to give him one of those nylo bones. I certainly wouldn't give a puppy that young a pigs ear, similarly the bones you get now are roasted and very crumbly - he/she could get a piece stuck in his throat. :)

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I'd stear clear of pigs ears but a raw meaty bone will be fine, I'm sure he'll love it. Chicken wings, thighs and drumsticks are good and lamb ribs - remember close supervision though and to hold onto the end of the bone the first few times to stop him gulping it! Also no cooked food (kibble etc) for at least a few hours either side :)

4. vicki.burns

Thanks for the replies, I thought a pigs ear may be too rich for him but I just wanted him to have something real to chew on because all his toys and bits like that he just chews apart, was after something a little more exciting for him!!!

5. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Sorry to jump in on this thread but just wanted to confirm, it's ok to give raw chicken and for them to eat the bones and everything? And she won't choke?

I have a fear of chicken bones since they always say not to give them to cats as they can splinter.

6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Absolutely fine, no problems whatsoever, raw chicken bones are quite soft and dont splinter :) although like I said to Vicki, make sure you hold the bone whilst she chews the first few times, to prevent her trying to gulp the bone down whole.

7. vicki.burns

So he'll just eat the whole chicken bone? Even the dirty gristly bits that we all leave?!

8. SixStar

SixStar Banned

He should do, yes :)

9. vicki.burns

What dirty but lovely little creatures!!! Think I will have to try this, I just think it will be nice for him to have something different rather than all the same SuperMarket-y processed sorts of chews and Bonios etc!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice