Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Puppie Advice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Patterdale1, May 30, 2010.

1. Patterdale1

Patterdale1 PetForums Newbie

I'd imagine you'v seen all this before but if you could humour me i'd be most gratefull!!

I Grew up with Jack Russels and Patterdales and now after many years of umming and arring i'v decided to take the plunge and begin the search for a puppy. My only issue is the "work issue"!

So my situation is thus.......

I live in a fairy spacious house with my house mate, i work 5 days a week from 8.30 till 5pm. I work 3 mins from my front door and all my family live within 5 mins of my house.

I'm planning to take 20 days off work when i get the pup and my family will be around after that. I get up early evreyday, would be able to retern home at lunch and my mum is mad keen and will take him/her out evreyday in the afternoon before i get home from work to take him/her out again.

I completly understand the commitments of owning a dog but browsing other forums there's a mixed view on this from one extreme to the other and i would really apperiate some constructive feedback to my personal situation!

I should pehaps say i'm looking to get a Patterdale.
    Thanks in advance

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Well, it sounds like it will be difficult when the dog is a puppy but if your housemate and family are 100% dedicated to helping for the next 15 or so years it sounds like it could work.:)
    As you have had them before its not like a Patterdale would be a shock to the system. (they are def up there with border collies as the 'not for faint hearted' breeds!!):D

3. PlayThing

PlayThing PetForums Newbie

It sounds like you've thought it through a lot and it's great your family are keen to help. One thing I would research is local dog walking/dog sitting services and make sure you find one that you'd be happy to use and could afford should your family be unavailable to help.

4. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

I don't know much about Patterdales but we've managed a puppy and full-time work ok. It's not everyday as sometimes my husband is home in the afternoon or I word from home. But there are weeks when we're both out during the day. So it can be done, although it's very hard at first.

I agree you should look into dog walking services. I started off with a neighbour that said she would alwats lets him out and then there got times when she couldn't at short notice, so I got someone who did 'puppy checks'.

5. Patterdale1

Patterdale1 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your replies, i really appreciate it!

I suppose my main worry is that the patterdale being what it, i feel slightly uncomfortable to take one in knowing i can't accomadate its natural working traits to the full. When we had a Patterdale i was young and it was a family pet so with 3 brothers and my Mum it always had someone to play with!

I Know Jack Russels are also working dogs but in my exsprience they are slightly more relaxed than the patterdale and i deffo feel more comfortable thinking about taking in a JR, Obvously any dogs a big commitment i'm just wondering if a Jack Russel could be a better option. Would you guys agree that?

6. Souris

Souris PetForums Senior

I'm afraid I can't comment on the Patterdale, but I can give you some experience of our Jack Russell.

My Mum has a Jack Russell that I grew up with, and he has always been left on a nine until five basis. She bought him when I was eight, so he was used to me going to school and her work from a very early age- all he ever does during the day was sleep. He has always had full access to the kitchen and living room- I will admit there's been a few tiny miss-haps on the floor when he was younger, but he's never chewed anything of ours during the day.

When he was a puppy, my Mum used to leave him on regular intervals until he got used to us leaving- then it was just a matter of keeping with a routine. In fact, he's so used to the routine, when I had a day off school during the week he'd still sleep all day- and become active the moment my Mum got home from work as he knows that's when he'll get his walk.

He's a lovely dog, he was on the hyper side when he was smaller, but he's a big sappy thing in his old age. He's still alive in fact, he's now thirteen years old.

If you are worried, as other people have suggested, I'd look up local dog walking/boarding services for the first few months. However, if you are able to return home at lunch, and your Mum can take him for a regular walk before you get home- I'd imagine he'd be just fine.

7. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

Have you ever thouth of an entirely different breed?? The only reason i ask is that my brother and family have recently bought a cavalier king charles spaniel pupster and he is great! They both work full time but come home at lunchtime, he gets walked every evening and is quite happy to walk miles or just have a game of football in the garden! He is a very laid back little chap and gets on well with every age of people and other dogs. He is now 15 weeks old.

Maybe a breed to consider as they are not so 'full on' maybe as a terrier?

Look forward to seeing what you decide, you must post piccies when you find your pupster! :D :D

8. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

I manage work and dogs. It is possible to have a pup and work if you put actions in place for example would your mum be willing to spend the afternoon with the pup, either at your house or hers? Could you get a dog sitter in?

My neighbour has a Patterdale - he works and it is left alone all day, it has a dog flap and free access to the garden - it doesn't cope well though and barks constantly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice