Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pup won't walk on lead :(

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by missRV, Nov 10, 2012.

1. missRV

missRV PetForums VIP

I've just looked through archive and I'm suprised there's no other threads on this....

I got Rosie a puppy collar and leash before we picked her up 2 weeks ago but the collar seems to weigh her down (and she keeps trying to bite her ID tag) so we took it off her thinking she was too young (she'll be 10 weeks on Monday)

We tried walking her indoors on the leash and she had a massive freak out on the floor, she then lay down and refused to move.

Today I got her a puppy harness (managed to find one small enough!) and that's no better, she hates it!

Any advice on what to do or avoid when leash training?

2. PennyGC

PennyGC PetForums VIP

there will be some threads, but maybe called different things...

I always find chicken helps a reluctant pup, be very exciting and encourage your pup to follow you for a reward, do it in the house and garden and without too many distractions and they soon get the hang of it

3. missRV

missRV PetForums VIP

Thank you :) she's getting her 2nd needle on Monday so we are hoping to take her walkies in about 2 weeks time... will give it a go tomorrow. This forum has been brilliant

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Personally I'd just get her used to a collar initially. Leave it on for half an hour say and then gradually increase the time.

Once she gets used to it then attach a short light line (something soft and about 2 ft long) and leave it on for say 10 minutes, under supervision of course. Occasionally hold the end, offering words of encouragement and tit-bits.

5. ClaireandDaisy

ClaireandDaisy PetForums VIP

I really do recommend that you invest in a good Puppy book (here`s a link - The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey) because this is the first of many things you`ll need to teach the pup. :)

6. missRV

missRV PetForums VIP

Thanks, she's got the collar on now and she's had it on since I got up at 8. She had it on for an hour last night and was scratching at it and crying but she seems OK today.

We do have 2 good puppy books, but all they mention is trying them indoors. I've been on youtube and seen a few videos who mentioned tying ribbon or a shoe lace to their collar at first. May try that :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice