Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pup won't sit with me

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Gregcool, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Gregcool

Gregcool PetForums Newbie

Hey guys,iv had my little Chihuahua for 2 weeks and he has settled very well,toilet training going very well,I love him to bits and we have a great bond,every morning he goes nuts when I pick him up first thing,we play 5 times a day and he gets 2 walks,plus he likes being in my coat when I'm out and about,my question is,although we have all that contact,he stoped sitting with me on the sofa,I mean close together,he will happy sit on the sofa but as soon as I get close or near him he gets off,when I first got him he would not leave my side,iv never raised my voice to him and only give him all the attention a pup could want,it's only this issue what does this mean and is he likely to get more efectionate as he gets older,be a real shame if he dsnt like close contact as this was my main reason for getting a dog and wanted to feel that love everyone tells me you get from a dog,he's 3 months old iv had him 2 weeks now,other than the cuddles we are very close and he lives our playtime and first thing in the morning,thanks for reading

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Perhaps he gets too hot?

I would let him set his own boundaries tbh

By all means call him to encourage him over, but leave it to him to decide.

I know he has to be picked up to be carried outside until he’s vaccinated, but otherwise I’d avoid picking him up as some dogs don’t enjoy it.

Unfortunately, little dogs often get picked up too much.

My dog isn’t cuddly at all - that’s life ;)

kimthecat, tabelmabel, Sairy and 6 others like this.
  3. Gregcool

Hi thanks for your reply ,,he's had both jabs from 1 week ago,I got him after he was with my X for 3 weeks,the first week with me he was very affectionate Sat on my lap etc,he is very settled for sure,he only goes in my coat when I take him from my home to the car or if I need to pop in the shops,he has no problem with that,also last couple of mornings and just now when he sees me first thing he isn't as excited as he was ,it's almost a different pup,I just feel a bit redundant after only 2 weeks having him,and this morning he has left half of his breakfast,he normally eats it in seconds,

4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Has there been an accident with him?

With the behaviour change and gone off food, I'd look at what you are doing first (over feeding or over exercising). If you cannot think of anything or if he's off food again I'd give the vet a call. Any other signs and you should be onto the vet today

Sairy, LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Gregcool

There has been no accident at all,,everything was fine uptil last couple of days,we were very close for first 7 days he loved all the attention and cuddles,and morning greeting was amazing,its just changed without reason and I'm frustrated as to why,

6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

If he's off his food he could feel ill

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Gregcool

Yea I thought that,I'll pop into pets at home today,any thoughts on him behaving distant towards me over last few days when he seemed well and happy,I live on my own so there is only me in his life

8. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Hello and Welcome to PF:)

I would check with a vet if your worried.

On saying that, he has now settled into his new home so maybe getting a little more confident and independent.

rona, LinznMilly and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

As Happypaws says they can be clingy at first but once settled, feel confident to be on their own more.

It may just be that with the closeness (which is actually a positive as it means he feels content and safe) but with the loss in appetite a better check is probably best.

Hope he perks up.

Sairy, margy, rona and 3 others like this.
  10. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

Yes probably just feeling more comfortable and sure of himself you don't want a dog constantly glued to your side, it's good for them to be happy in their own company. My 6 month old Jack Russell was a cuddly little pup but now he won't sit on a knee, he doesn't even lie on the same sofa as us, he prefers to curl up in his own bed. We get kisses and quick cuddles but on his terms, exactly the same as his big sister who is 5 now. Just let your pup come to you if he wants and try not to pick up him too much.

11. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

As others have said he's probably gaining confidence. Chis are bold little things, so once they feel confident they like to have time to themselves too which is good. He will probably start coming to you and using you more as a bed the more your relationship builds, through training, walks and just being in close proximity to each other. The worse thing you can do is try and hurry this along by picking him up and plonking him down on your knee, or by the side of it. Let it be fluid.

Lurcherlad and LinznMilly like this.
  12. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Totally agree with the advice you’ve been given.
    Just to add, my little terrier isn’t cuddly but my goodness she is loyal. She watches my every move and is always by my side. Pre-empts most things I do. So intuitive it’s unbelievable. Knows my moods, when to leave me alone or sit by me. Yes, I do wish she was more cuddly but if it means swapping the rest, I’ll do without cuddles. She’s amazing.
    Let your little one settle and grow and you’ll be amazed. I’m sure you’ll see you’re loved beyond measure without cuddles.

13. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

There are other ways to have a strong bond with your dog that don't involve cuddles. Playing together, training and walks together are all ways you can enjoy each other's company without involving physical contact.

14. Mum2Ozzy

Mum2Ozzy PetForums Member

I'm a first time pup mum, our Ozzy is 17 weeks now. First couple of weeks he followed my every step, literally. I work from home and he would sleep on my feet when I was sat the the desk; when I got up to make a cuppa he would follow me and lie on my feet while I waited for kettle to boil. It settled now, whilst he likes to be close i genuinely think he's too hot and just can't settle on my lap. He prefers our rug or his bed. I think it's just your pups personality and once you get to know him better you'll see different ways he shows his love. I find this whole experience not too dissimilar to having children, we all have preconceptions of what it's going to be like but our children have their own personalities and temperaments and we just learn each other and love them for who they are x

15. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

You don't need to have a cuddly dog to get a close bond. You can make a connection by playing games every day, teaching tricks and just getting out and about (when normal times return!) having fun and discovering new places with your dog.

Getting a close bond is more about being in tune with your dog than having cuddles. Just developing that 2 way interaction so that it becomes a partnership.

Give it time, relax and just enjoy each day as it comes:)

16. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

You need to give him his space when he wants it, not all dogs are cuddly 24/7, he’ll come to you when he wants a fuss. Short training sessions so he doesn’t get bored will strengthen your bond.

17. Gregcool

Thank you guys,very positive advice,I understand what you are all saying but do wish he would want more fuss and contact as that is one of the reasons I got a dog as I live on my own and have done for 7 years without a relationship,first 10 days were amazing and our 9pm routen was lay on the sofa with music on and he would cuddle into me for a hr and it all just stoped so wasn't ready for that,he loves our play time and walking out hear and there,but even my morning welcome has not been the same from him,only half as excited as he was so it's like he's gone off me I guess,he finished his dinner last night in the end so not sure what that was about,he may well just be bored with his food as his happy to eat he's treats for going to the loo,I went to vets and they just told me to keep a eye on his feeding for a day and go back if his still not eating for further advice,

18. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Honestly it's really good that he's settling alone
    Most people could only wish for that.

Am sure it will come just with time

19. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Just reading your last post I’m wondering if perhaps your pup is picking up on your concerns. They are very intuitive.
    Trybto put your concerns to one side and enjoy your pup. All too soon this time will be gone.
    I’ve been on my own with Heidi for nearly 7 years. I used to get jealous of all the cuddles OH had with her. Their relationship was different to ours. I know I wouldn’t have come through these years as I am now without her. She’s been by my side through a lot of grief and what she has given me is far more than cuddles.
    One day, when your pup and your bond together grows, I’m sure you will look back and realise cuddles play a very small part in our relationship with dogs:)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice