Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pup with Suspected Food Allergies...Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Abigail K., Nov 20, 2018.

1. Abigail K.

Abigail K. PetForums Newbie

Hello Pet Forum Experts,

I have posted here once before regarding my poorly Australian Shepard / Giant Poodle mix 12 week old puppy. Unfortunately he is still not quite on the mend...

His current and past symptoms are as follows:

Past: constant diarrhea and wee in the flat -- we have seemingly "cured" this with switching him from a diet of chicken and rice to a diet of ground beef and sweet potato. However, my vet also recommended a supplement called Tannacomb which is a natural anti diarrhea agent which has seemed to massively help him as he no longer has any diarrhea.

Current (negative): Although he no longer suffers from diarrhea or constant wee, he is still a very unhappy pup! (When he is feeling well he is a very happy and playful pup.)
    He itches/bites himself on his backside and stomach areas and constantly whines and cries for 1-2 hours after his meals. (He receives 3 meals per day.) Unfortunately the constant crying has nearly driven me mad and I have been cooking for him for about 2 full weeks now which is also getting a bit challenging.

Current (positive): Regardless of the eating trouble he still continues to gain weight--two weeks ago he was at 3.3kg and now at 5.3kg at 12 weeks old. However, I fear that the"bland diet" is not providing him with the proper amount of protein/vitamins/minerals that he really needs to grow and develop, not to mention be his normal happy self.

I have read that common allergies include not only chicken/duck, but also beef :(

What should I be feeding this pup? And how much and how often? His litter mates are currently about double his size, although he is the runt of the litter, and I am starting to worry that the diet I feed him is really slowing him down developmentally.

Thank you in advance for any kind recommendations!

-Abby

2. pennyLokiMUM

pennyLokiMUM PetForums Senior

not sure of the website but others you can search for puppy food, not such what country you are in, I would avoid chicken and go for any good brand of food, Pets at Home have nutritionists, what did the breeder feed the puppy on, did you continue to feed that food, puppies need 4 small meals a day and then that is reduced to 3 and then when fully grown 2 meals. I go for grain free food dry but others prefer a mix of wet and dry, if you are taking your puppy to training classes you can also get advice on diet, the itching is because the skin is irritated from the diet, a puppy needs full vitamins and minerals, you can go online for a puppy oats shampoo that has aloe Vera and soothes the skin, white fish is normally fine and is good for sensitive tummys

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice