Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pup with infection.Please help.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jevy, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Jevy

Jevy PetForums Newbie

My 7 month old border terrier was neutered on the recomendation of our vet on monday.
    Yesterday morning (wednesday) my wife returned him to this vet.
    Our beloved Billy is now on a dip and has an infection due to this procedure.
    The vet has said we must now pay for this after care.

Surely this is not right.

Any advice would be greatly received.

Rgards
    Davey

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Unfortunately there can be side effects like an infection though they are rare. Who else is going to pay for it, it will be excluded from your insurance . Unless you can prove the vet was negligent I think you just have to pay. Some vets would probably compromise a bit on the bill out of the goodness of their heart but they do not need to.

3. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

What sort of infection is it? a wound infection or something else? Unfortunately all surgical procedures carry a risk and yes as owners you would be expected to pay for it unless its because of something the vet did wrong. One of mine got horrendous clipper rash that got infected (from being clipped pre operatively) it cost me a fortune in creams, then antibiotics then steroid injections - because I discovered that the vets had an issue with this happening (a nurse let slip all of their recent surgical cases had developed it) I was able to get my money back for that part of her treatment only. Check with your insurance, they won't cover the neutering obviously but some might cover complications of it.

4. sidevalve

sidevalve Banned

The problem you have is proving that the infection was the fault of the vet. When agreeing to an operation of any sort you sign a consent form however to win in a court of law you would need [as said above] that the vet was negligent. IMHO you might [might] have a chance of doing so BUT it would involve a lot of work, getting a second or even third opinion and the usual never ending hassles of the law for those who are not used to it. Unless you could find a 'no win no fee' solicitor to take your case [unlikely] I'm afraid the outlook is bleak.

5. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear this; it's always a total shock when a routine procedure ends up with complications. Agree with previous posters, speak to your insurance company and see if the infection part (ie now that Billy is on a drip) is covered by your insurance. A straightforward castration/spay is obviously paid for by the owner. I hope Billy now is on the mend. I have had countless cats spayed or castrated and never had one with an infection so you have been really unlucky I think!

#5 Calvine, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
  6. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Of course you should have to pay!

You chose to neuter your dog under the advice of your vet, and in doing so, bore to undertake any possible risks associated with this.

A infection is likely a result of home after care, not the initial procedure.

7. Jevy

Jevy PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your replies.

The infection is internal and Billy is still on a drip and will be at the vets for a second night.

He has slowly went down hill after coming home.
    Absolutley nothing wrong with his home after care.
    The vet wanted us to wait another 24 before admitting him. If we had done that he may well have not been with us by now.

8. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

Sounds very worrying - poor little mite. Hope he is better and back home soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice