Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Pup waking up EARLY!! Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Lydia_w92, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Lydia_w92

Lydia_w92 PetForums Newbie

We have a 3-month old jack Russell puppy. Whether he goes to bed 10pm or midnight, he will wake up at 6am on the dot! We have his cage blocked out from the window (we have the door side not covered however). I was wondering if this was normal for a pup, and if they'll grow out of it?

Advice/sympathy/nap time would be greatly appreciated :)

2. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

If my pup is anything to go by, then yes it's normal, when I first got him he was waking me at 0500 on the dot! Thankfully that didn't last long and as he grew he was waking later. :)

Happy Paws2, Lurcherlad and Lydia_w92 like this.
  3. Lydia_w92

Thank you for this! I hope our pup follows suit. Out of interest how old is your dog? How long did the persistent waking up early last for? We've only had our dog 2 weeks, but his sticking with the 6am wake up whine

ForestWomble likes this.
  4. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

He is 1 year and 10 months old now.

I can not remember the exact timescales, but I got him in the August at 8 weeks old, where he was waking me at 5 in the morning and by December I think he was waking by about 7, maybe even 8 by then.

Lydia_w92 likes this.
  5. Lydia_w92

This is music to my ears! At least we're not alone :). Hopefully our pup will be the same. Thank you very much for this!

ForestWomble likes this.
  6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I'll second Animallover26's post ....Yes, it's normal ...in fact I think you'll doing well to get through to six :D

Mine have all been early birds as puppies ...hungry tummies and needing to wee being the two things that used to wake them early!

And yes, it does improve ....gradually over time I found ....darker mornings help ....my summer puppy though first light was breakfast time lol

J

ForestWomble and Lydia_w92 like this.
  7. Born to Boogie

Born to Boogie PetForums VIP

If my youngster sleeps in till 6am, I consider it a lie in ;)
    She's starts snoncking about, 5ish onwards. She's 2 in August:D

ForestWomble likes this.
  8. Lydia_w92

I will try covering completely his crate and see if that helps. Just when he whines first thing in the morning it's hard to ignore so have to go down.

Thank you for this!

9. bumbarrel

bumbarrel PetForums Senior

I have every sympathy. My 14 week old puppy has been waking at 10 to 6. This morning it was 20 to 7. Perhaps it will last!

I have to say that when I let him out he is definitely ready to wee and poo and after all he only has a little bladder. My adult dog, of a much larger breed, is really surprised to see me so early.

ForestWomble and Lydia_w92 like this.
  10. Lydia_w92

Do you cover the entire crate? Currently we don't, we have the crate door uncovered to make him feel like his not locked away. I've heard today that perhaps that will be of help

11. Jacjaiarch

Jacjaiarch PetForums Member

Daisy (5 months) goes to bed around 9-10pm, we usually get her out of her crate at 5:30am for toilet as that's when we leave for the gym, then she's back in her crate till 7:30am. On days we don't get up early for gym she would happily lay in till around 8:30am, she has been doing this from around 11wks, she never cries/bark when she wants out of her crate to toilet, she'll just wait till we get up, even then I'll open her door and she will just look at me as if to say 'go away I'm not ready to get up yet'
    We cover her crate with a blanket with maybe just a little bit at the bottom for her to look out.

Lydia_w92 likes this.
  12. Lydia_w92

This would be the dream!

Do you put a training pad in her cage? Does she wake up during the night? Also, what bread dog do you have?

13. Jacjaiarch

She a Lhasa apso x shih tzu, we've never used training pads in her crate, she only has enough room to lay/stretch/stand so no room for a pad even if we chose to use one, the first couple weeks she would wake anytime between 1-3am, we'd take her straight out to toilet, no interaction with her then back in crate till about 6am. Sometimes when my husband opens her crate to toilet at 5:30am before we head out she will not budge so a couple times he's left her till we get back from gym, but 9/10 she go for a wee and poop then no fuss when put back in crate.

Lydia_w92 likes this.
  14. Lydia_w92

You're living the dream I think with your dog :). Our crate is big for the dog and we have a training pad in there which he uses during the night no problem. But as soon as 6am comes, his up! We will try covering his cage tonight. Fingers crossed!

15. Jacjaiarch

Daisy's crate is bigger than she needs (medium) but I've made it so she has just enough space to lay/stand/stretch, before I made the space inside smaller when she was 8wks she pooped and wee'd in there a couple times during the night, it was too big, she was able to toilet one side and sleep away from it, since making her space smaller she hasn't had any accidents in there, I've gradually made the space bigger as she has grown.
    I'm sure your pup will give you a lay in soon, we've been lucky with Daisy that she loves to lay in.

Lydia_w92 likes this.
  16. Lottie9330

Lottie9330 PetForums Junior

My puppy did this. She always got up at 2am and then 6am for a wee and then wanted to play. We would let her out at 6 for a wee and put her back in her crate. If she cried to get out and play we would ignore her and she would go back to sleep until 8. By the age of about 4-4.5 months she would sleep all the way through until about 9ish as all of a sudden she was able to hold her a bladder alot longer.
    Now at 6 months shes known to sleep from 8pm to 10am! Most do grow out of it if you try keep routine the same

Lydia_w92 likes this.
  17. Lydia_w92

How much did your pup whine and cry for? When ours does, he sounds like his in pain! It's a little upsetting to hear, but I'm not sure if this... intensity is normal?

18. Lottie9330

Lottie9330 PetForums Junior

Roughly 10-15 mins on average. The sound isnt nice. We felt awful for doing it but we didnt want her to learn that crying gets her her own way.
    She still sometimes cries on a morning now to say she needs to be let out. It starts of high pitched whimpering then leads to a groan that sounds painful. Totally normal. Only chance theyd be in discomfort is if they hadnt had a wee or poo. They just want your attention and hope crying will make you come running!

Lydia_w92 likes this.
  19. Lydia_w92

Our dog will whine 40 mins none stop! It's a little worrying at times, and as you said sounds painful. But I guess we have to stick with it for the time being

20. Victoria Evans

Victoria Evans PetForums Newbie

Our puppy is 6 months and he used to wake at 6 this gradually went to 7 and now he will sleep till about 10 if we're ever not up by then which is very rare. I get up for work at half 6 in the week and when I let him out to use the loo he looks at me in digust for waking him goes out then climbs back in his crate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice