Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

pup still got diaohrea

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lizzyboo, May 18, 2010.

1. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

hi guys.... well after our trip to the vets on sat cause radley was vomiting and had diaohrea..... after the probiotic injection he was given and the chicken and rice that i have made for him........ radley still has diaohrea. he stopped vomiting on sat. he is fine in himself, bouncy, bubbly and still very inquisitive.

any advice on what to do next would be really appriciated.

(read on another forum that the drontal worming tabs can cause bad diaohrea in puppies and he had one of those on the wed he had his last jabs.)

2. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

any replies would be helpful..... please :):):)

3. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

It could be the chicken that's causing problems, a lot of dogs can't tolerate it.

Terri

4. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

he is on nil by mouth today..... what should i give him when i reintroduce his food.... can he have egg? he is nearly 13 weeks and he is a westie .

thanks for the reply terri x

5. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

egg's ok. :) scramble it up for him and give it to him.

6. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

Scrambled egg is good, you could also try some white boiled fish. I'm not a lover of not feeding them, I've always found that if they are unwell they won't eat but if it's nothing serious they will keep on eating. That's just what's worked for my dogs though, I'm sure others think differently.

Terri

7. rona

rona Guest

Yep I agree, start with white fish and rice.
    Did the vet give you any probiotics to give orally?

8. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

I don't believe in not feeding them either - maybe if they're still being sick but defo not if they've just got dire rear. I think if they've got a bug in there it needs flushing out and that their tummies need something to work on.

ETA I also think the same with human children. If my kids are sick then no food, but if it's just a runny bum I keep feeding them - no curries though :D

9. lizzyboo

lizzyboo PetForums VIP

hi rona.... no he just gave him a shot of some.

i have phoned the vet again today for advice. they said i am doing everything right, he is drinking, playing and up to his usual self. they also said that drontal worming tabs can give pups runny bums as can switching his food. she advised to lay off the switching of food till he is passing normal stools again, but if he still has a runny bum in two days to call back and make an appointment.

right i may try white fish and rice next lol. i quite like cooking for him tbh, could do it all the time if i had a never ending amount of money lol

10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Another suggestion for you.:)
    When my Chihuahua's puppy had diarrhoea and chicken and rice and antibiotics didnt work I gave her Applaws chicken and pumpkin cat food!
    Obviously cat food isnt for dogs but I discovered pumpkin is very good for tummy upsets and is impossible to buy most places.:( The Applaws food is just chicken and pumpkin and the right size for little puppies too.
    Worth a try if nothing else works.....did the trick for Heidi!;)

11. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Def start with the rice and fish to begin with.Did your vet say to put him back on his food after that? or are you buying a new brand to try?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice